Bedford MWD

fayjo56

Ok friends, first, my apologies to those who enquired after the MW posted for sale recently. I was lucky enough to be first in the queue:red:. I have always been in love with the MW and cant believe my good fortune. :shocked:

I assume a restoration blog will be acceptable. I will also be a good way of pestering all you experts for information, parts, dimensions etc:cool2:.

Sadly I'm out all day today so have to wait before I can start poking and prodding. Will post a few numbers soon in the hope someone can date 'her' for me.

mwrecovery007.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John, Thanks for your help thus far - greatly appreciated. I am in Reading, Berks incidently.

I have taken a few pics which may or may not help. The front panel has been drilled for headlight surrounds, I assume for Butler lights. It appears to also have had a rectangular Bedford badge.

Chassis number is MWD 18073 Engine number (on plaste on dash) is MW 20891.

There is also a brass plate on the dash stating a rebuild to Class 1 10-12-46 at B army workshop No B123.

The plate on top of the shock absorber is stamped 11-40.

Out of interest, when rebuilt, do you know if they were mix and matched like jeeps or treated as individual vehicles?

A confirmation of date, and what spec she would be (doors or no doors, Small or large lights etc) would be much appreciated.

mwdetails002.jpg

Not too clear but this is the front door frame where new cab meets bulkhead.

mwdetails003.jpg

Self explanatory!

mwdetails001.jpg

Is this an early dash?

Regards

Paul

Great! So she's earlier than expected. There are captive nuts for the grill, does this mean an external mesh?

The guage is just oil pressure. I will try and get some more pics, may wait until the weekend and daylight.

Thanks so much for your help and patience with an MW novice but avid fan!

Thats the contract plate, Richard Farrant should be able to tell you more about it, how many were on that contract and the WD numbers allocated to the batch.

The contract plate has a Cat Ref no., which will be either 33 or 34

There are three groups of census numbers as follows;

Z771480 to 771577 Cat ref 33 Truck, GS

Z4176716 to 4182115 Cat ref 33 Truck GS

Z4182116 to 4182715 Cat ref 34 Truck, Water tank

That is all I can tell you.

regards, Richard

Have just removed the non original, worm ridden cab. Nicely made though. The pyrene fire extinguisher is stamped WD 1940 ! (coincidence?).

Few more pics for your perusal. I guess the captive nuts along the top of the bulkhead (4 pairs) are for the aero screen brackets, also the centre ones hold the top of the dash. Any comments on the air filter?

Have had the engine turning over on a battery, all valves move ok, no spark though:(

Have just found 14198 stamped in an unidentified piece of bodywork wood.

mwcabdismantle006.jpg

mwcabdismantle005.jpg

mwcabdismantle003.jpg

Cheers! Must get on!

Paul

Edited by fayjo56
add a number

HI FAYJO56 Its nice to see one more early bedford mwd saved.I have a mw 1940 my mw looks like it is in the same contract as yours t8957 ,my chass number 12932 and the z number is z4178614 mine was made in july -aug 1940, i hope this is of some help good luck sparky

HI FAYJO56 Its nice to see one more early bedford mwd saved.I have a mw 1940 my mw looks like it is in the same contract as yours t8957 ,my chass number 12932 and the z number is z4178614 mine was made in july -aug 1940, i hope this is of some help good luck sparky

Thanks sparky, any chance of some pics? Will pm my email if thats ok - Also to John (Rippo).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, will sort a pic of the chassis. Thanks for posting the picture, I do wonder if my front panel was changed at rebuild. It leaves me wondering how to finish it, the headlights arent a great issue as they will be covered by a bridge plate and headlamp mask most of the time, it came with a nice pair of small WD sidelights complete with masks to reduce to regulation 1" lense, seems a shame not to use them!

Quick question, the Bedford badge on the dash with chassis number on, is yours original or are repros available?

• 3 weeks later...

Scuttle and cab floor now off, all seems quite solid. I have removed 3 of the core plugs (2 were perforated) and need to remove the gearbox to change the one on the back of the block which is leaking. The water jacket is also well and truly silted up.

Rippo, I will have another look at the bump stop area and get back to you. In the mean time, any suggestions for renewing the ally and rubber mountings for the scuttle?, mine are shot.

mwscuttle011.jpg

mwscuttle013.jpg

A bit more progress today, brake pipes and hoses, master cylinder (seized) and shock absorbers removed. Sorry about the delay Rippo, have looked again and there are two holes in bottom of chassis, not all that clear on the pic though. My bump stops are on top of the springs.

Also gearbox removed in readiness to take off clutch and bellhousing to replace rear core plug.

mwchassisandtillylucy003.jpg

mwchassisandtillylucy005.jpg

Edited by fayjo56
added info

hi john i will post photos when i can .But at presently i am unable ?

May need to take some more as i am being told when trying to attach

that my file is too large.

R.E. bump stop is just a rubber block bolted to chassis also bump stop on axle as well.

tracy

MY OXC has the holes in the bottom of the chassis for bolting splash shields too. one either side of the engine that go the full length of the engine between the sump and chassis.

i'll try to take a piccy of the one of the shields today as i have been making a replacement.

• 4 weeks later...