Driving tracked vehicles on the road...

Jack

Dear all.

Just out of interest, what are the rules and regs of driving tracked vehicles on the road?

Can you? can't you? Do you need a full crew? Can you only drive during day light hours, do you need a special licence etc etc?

Cheers.

Jack.

Jack,

This is a bit of a grey area and I can only comment on the vehicles I have registered and driven, which are a CVRT and a FV432. These vehicles are built to be road legal and have rubber pads on the tracks, indicators, brake lights etc. Registering them was no trouble as they come with the correct documents from the MoD. If you were to try and register something else, like a Stuart or Sherman it might be more difficult, but many people have done it.

Driving on the road, technically you will need an H licence. I do not have one yet, because I haven't got round to taking the test. The test is fairly simple, drive a few miles, do an emergency stop and reverse around a corner. You can book them through the DVLA, they come to you but will not come to your house. I emailed the DVLA about driving without the H test and got a response which in effect says you are ok if you fit L plates. I am going to take the test in the summer, and obviously I need to practice before taking it!

As long as you are over 21 there are no other restrictions, you can drive when you like. I would not reccomend driving at night in a tracked AFV but I suppose there may be occasions where it is unavoidable. I also drive with a flashing beacon fitted, and a commander who is in communication with me via the intercom. I have driven on the roads with no commander but I try to avoid it. I have heard stories of people taking tracked AFVs on the motorway, and while some of them are certainly fast enough it would not be a good place to have a breakdown!

Hope this helps,

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you very much Chris that does help.

I have often wondered ( Weymouth Vet parade for an example) how Jim from Allied Forces can drive his Sherman down Weymouth high street legally, a Jimmy has enough blind spots let alone a tracked MV - hats off to you guys.

Neil,

Those places will teach you in a 432, which is really easy to drive. I did not like driving our 432 on the road because it's so wide, the drivers hatch is in an awful place and there is no seperate brake pedal! The test is dead easy, so you're bound to pass first time. Most of those places have 100% pass rate. They don't teach you how to actually drive on the road though, roundabouts etc take a bit of practice and I doubt they let you out into busy traffic! If you just want to pass the test then it isn't too bad, but it is much cheaper to use your own vehicle and take the test in that if you have one.

Chris

Neil,

Those places will teach you in a 432, which is really easy to drive. I did not like driving our 432 on the road because it's so wide, the drivers hatch is in an awful place and there is no seperate brake pedal! The test is dead easy, so you're bound to pass first time. Most of those places have 100% pass rate. They don't teach you how to actually drive on the road though, roundabouts etc take a bit of practice and I doubt they let you out into busy traffic! If you just want to pass the test then it isn't too bad, but it is much cheaper to use your own vehicle and take the test in that if you have one.

Chris

Unfortunately the snag lies in that last sentence Chris. Right now I don't have a tracked vehicle and won't be in a position to go looking for one until I've left Fords - and I'm kind of hoping to get a sizeable chunk of the course fee's paid for by their EDAP program!! ;-) ;-)

Would be nice to find an FV104 Samaritan to "keep it in the family", as it were, after next june!!

Neil,

Unfortunatley the Samaritan seems to be a particularly unloved vehicle, I only know of 3 which are in private hands. I saw a nice one come up for sale 3 times at Withams, I bid on it the last time only to be outbid by a mate! It's a real shame though as they are nice vehicles, I think a lot of people have a thing about ambulances and dead people...

Chris

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/Withams%20Tender/Withams-2004-5%20(23).JPG[/img]

the Samaritan seems to be a particularly unloved vehicle,

The most useful thing about a Samaritan is the built-in bog, ideal for a camper at shows, just so long as no one opens the rear door when you are on the throne, as the seat is attached to it!

The Sultan is rather unloved, but a pracatical vehicle for rallying, with more headroom.

Richard

Neil,

Marcus has one at the moment which is quite clean and tidy, when I was there the other week he was getting an engine ready to go in it. The Samaritan I bid on was sold on shortly afterwards, I think it went for around £5000 but that was non running.

All the other Sultans and Samaritans Withams had sadly went to the scrap man at the beginning of the year.

Chris

I would agree with everything Chris said except.... Driving on L plates with an un-licenced commander ( no H group), surely cannot be legal. If the vehicle is a single seater, such as a small crawler tractor, then it may be possible. I wouldn't like to test the scenario in court myself! I bet your insurance is invalid as well. As you say, the test is easy, go for it.

Adrian

Adrian,

Trying to find out anything about what you can and can't do without passing the H test is a bit of a nightmare, there's next to nothing about it on the website. I intend to take the test once the weather picks up a bit. You can take the test in a mini digger, so really we could hire one for a day, get it delivered to a farm and all book tests for the same day!

Chris

Got a reply today from the place in Norfolk -

H Licence Testing at Fantastic Days

Taking control of tracked vehicles - mostly accompanied by many tonnes of heavy metal - is a fun but serious business. Our philosophy is 'safety first' and our training programme is aimed at producing safe, responsible and informed drivers first and foremost. The training takes place over 3 days using our 16.5 tonne FV432 Armoured Personnel Carriers both on and off the road. The main points of the training programme are outlined below -

DAY 1:

Arrival & coffee: 10am.

Briefing: Introduction to the programme and vehicles.

Sandwich Lunch

Driving Session: Introductory driving sessions and assessment of skills

Intensive training on vehicle positioning and manoeuvring skills

Dinner, Bed & Breakfast at a nearby Hotel

DAY 2:

Arrival & coffee: 9.30am.

Briefing: Safety & Maintenance - what you need to know.

Driving Session: Further practice and pre-road-use skills test.

Sandwich Lunch

Driving Session: On-road preparations for driving test

Dinner, Bed & Breakfast at a nearby Hotel

DAY 3:

Arrival & coffee: 9.30am.

Briefing: Driving test expectations.

Driving Session: Refinement of techniques

Sandwich Lunch

The Test: DVLA Instructor

There are cheaper courses on offer but we believe ours is certainly the most comprehensive you will find. Our prices are inclusive of all training, hotel fees (dinner, bed and breakfast on two nights - but not including drinks), the test fee, lunches and other refreshments on-site. The most cost effective way to train is to join in on a group course (4 - 6 people max). The cost for this is £1525 per person + VAT. (Courses usually run Wednesday to Friday, subject to demand). However, we can offer one-to-one training if you prefer; the cost for this is £2700 + VAT. We will require sight of your driving licence before you book, and you will need to bring this and your passport with you for the DVLA Test.

Neil,

Marcus has one at the moment which is quite clean and tidy, when I was there the other week he was getting an engine ready to go in it. The Samaritan I bid on was sold on shortly afterwards, I think it went for around £5000 but that was non running.

All the other Sultans and Samaritans Withams had sadly went to the scrap man at the beginning of the year.

Chris

Just checked Marcus' web site - he's showing a Samaritan in the "For Sale" section but no price or condition - so I've e-mailed him asking for the missing details :-o

I passed my H licence 8 weeks ago in our CVRT Spartan. Cost £40 plus a jerrycan of fuel. A lady examiner came to the farm and we went on a 40 minute bimble around a local posh housing estate, answered a few dumb highway code questions and that was it. Had to do a 3 point turn and pull away from the curb without destroying anything. Other than that it was just driving about proving you can control the vehicle safely.

3 of us passed 1st time. The only practice we'd had was tootling around at Beltring and a couple of bits of ilicit road practice on very quiet roads.

Lots of people will tell you that you need a 'commander' to drive tracked vehicles on the road. While this may be the case for the military, CIVILIANS DO NOT NEED THIS. I have this independently from 2 traffic cops and the DVLA themselves (not that they know their a**e from their elbow of course...) I have been unable to find any official written reference anywhere to suggest that it might be the case. I have no compunction about driving on my own - I can see just as much in the mirrors of a tank as I can when driving a truck.

As regards having the licence, I personally would not dream of driving a vehicle on the road for which I do not have a licence. Insurance is voided and you could end up in a whole heap of trouble.

Driving tanks on the road is superb - you get some serious respect, even from school-trip 4x4s.

Yeah, that does worry me when I'm driving. Even with a small tank like a CVRT you could do serious damage. Each track link has a 3-inch pointed horn sticking out the side. At 30mph, the front ones coming up over the drive sprockets are accelerating from 0 - 60mph. If they hit say, a car wing, they'd open it like a tin can. Equally the front of a CVRT is smooth and curves upwards and you could easy drive up the back of a saloon or sports car if it stopped in front too quickly. Another worry is pulling up curbstones when pulling away from the side of the road.

Having said that the brakes and steering are very good and the visibility is no problem. The saving grace is that everyone gives you a LOT of space.

Terry does all his training on the road which is not ideal if you have never driven tracked before & it's in a Scorpion.

H Licence training-one day course

Based in Kent, we offer a one day tracked vehicle training course, culminating in your H test. One to one tuition driving a full tracked vehicle on the road. £195 plus DSA test fee.

01843 842682