Spta farp

plainmilitary

Just a bit of the modern stuff for you guys. Spent the weekend down at the FARP with 663 SQD. Seeing how these boys and girls work with the Halos is just awsome. I hope you enjoy the snaps.

AC81.jpg

AC78.jpg

AC14.jpg

AC32.jpg

AC92.jpg

AC96.jpg

AC100.jpg

AC36.jpg

AC31.jpg

AC30.jpg

AC40.jpg

AC102.jpg

AC64.jpg

AC3.jpg

AC84.jpg

AC18.jpg

AC44.jpg

Sorry again about the size of the picture's.

Tony

Some fantastic pictures there. Must have been a very expensive camera to get such good quality. Most digitals seem to be a bit unpredictable and have a large variation in picture quality.

Nice to see my old favourite there too...... the Chinook. I just love the sight and sound of them. Many years ago I saw one do a low level display at Biggin, throwing in some really tight turns. That made the rotor blades "Clatter", and I've loved them ever since. Just a shame they haven't had such a good reliability record though. Must be nearly time for them to be pensioned off surely? :)

Some fantastic pictures there. Must have been a very expensive camera to get such good quality. Most digitals seem to be a bit unpredictable and have a large variation in picture quality.

Nice to see my old favourite there too...... the Chinook. I just love the sight and sound of them. Many years ago I saw one do a low level display at Biggin, throwing in some really tight turns. That made the rotor blades "Clatter", and I've loved them ever since. Just a shame they haven't had such a good reliability record though. Must be nearly time for them to be pensioned off surely? :)

Will, have you not heard of the shed full of brand new mk3 ones that we own but are unable to use due to problems with the avionics software? £259 million well spent, read about it here: http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc0708/hc05/0512/0512.pdf

I'm on the same side as you there Swill, the nook is one hell of a peace of kit. We had two out Saterday troop carrying and hedge hopping, very impresive to say the least. Even the Merlin struggled to keep up with them. Mind you not to good at 3 in the morning when they are dropping kit into the field behind the house. The Seaking ASW cab is a bit of a rair bird round this neck of the woods. I know we have had a bit of rain lately but still not enough to float a sub on the ranges. In total I think there were about twenty halo's and thankfull most of them have now gone. Just a few little birds scouting around the place.

Tony

Don't mention Avtur, I hate the smell of that stuff, but I do have friends that would be quite happy to wear it as aftershave. FV they are a nice bit of kit but nothing on the Nooks in my eye's. Also the nooks are easyer to photograph cos you can here them coming for miles around. This allows you to get your camera ready, Merlins tend to be a bit on the quite side so before you know it they are on you and gone.

Don't mention Avtur, I hate the smell of that stuff, but I do have friends that would be quite happy to wear it as aftershave.

Used to be AAC groundcrew before moving into aircrew slots - covered myself with the stuff more times than I care to remember.

Merlins tend to be a bit on the quite side so before you know it they are on you and gone.

Try living near Culdrose - you can certainly hear the Navy ones out and about. Perhaps the Crabs operate low-level while the Fish-heads are up getting nosebleeds.:)

Will, have you not heard of the shed full of brand new mk3 ones that we own but are unable to use due to problems with the avionics software? £259 million well spent, read about it here: http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc0708/hc05/0512/0512.pdf

I had heard of the Chinooks you mentioned being unable to fly due to computer problems; but assumed they would have overcome this long ago. I suppose they have to use the latest technology, but perhaps they should go back to whatever they used before. At least they will get some into service.

Sorry, I know little of aircraft, so if my comment seems a little silly; I apologise. I have a great deal of interest, and limited knowledge. :)

• 1 year later...

Very nice pics, especially of the Sea King bagger. Ref the Chinooks, the Mk3 will have new analogue cockpits to replace the American digital cockpits, these in turn will be replaced by UK digital cockpits. The National Audit Office slated the MoD for this piece of incompetent Defence Acquisition.

It,s great isn't it. If like me you just sit in the garden on a summers day watching all the low level halos and picking bits of grass out your beer. I'm just on the edge of the SPTA and get everything from Middle wallop, Benson, Odiham and Boscombe Down. On some days we even get a Herc or two from Lynham dropping chutes over the back fence....

Hooray for Halos & Hercs..................

Hello John, it can get a bit much sometimes though. On the Dagger MRX last month we had Chinooks at 3oclock in the morning dropping troops and doing medivacs on the hill just behind the house. This went on for about an hour or so, wasn't worth going back to bed after that. Three cabs in total, two dropping of, one on medivac. Just to add insalt to injury, they also flew with Apache and Lynx top cover. All they seem to do is fly round and around for ages. The MRX ran for two weeks non-stop with halos playing a large part of it. You get to see some great stuff on these MRXs, but hell it don't half make you tired and very grumpy, just ask SWMBO hehehe........

I had heard of the Chinooks you mentioned being unable to fly due to computer problems; but assumed they would have overcome this long ago. I suppose they have to use the latest technology, but perhaps they should go back to whatever they used before. At least they will get some into service.

Sorry, I know little of aircraft, so if my comment seems a little silly; I apologise. I have a great deal of interest, and limited knowledge. :)

Not silly at all - the Mk 3s have been "reverted" to Mk 2s at Boscombe Down and are now either in service or will be very shortly.

Andy

Hello John, it can get a bit much sometimes though. On the Dagger MRX last month we had Chinooks at 3oclock in the morning dropping troops and doing medivacs on the hill just behind the house. This went on for about an hour or so, wasn't worth going back to bed after that. Three cabs in total, two dropping of, one on medivac. Just to add insalt to injury, they also flew with Apache and Lynx top cover. All they seem to do is fly round and around for ages. The MRX ran for two weeks non-stop with halos playing a large part of it. You get to see some great stuff on these MRXs, but hell it don't half make you tired and very grumpy, just ask SWMBO hehehe........

Yes I understand what you mean, It's just Finningley, sorry Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood don't know what county I'm in Airport seems a lonely place now. If i'm up North Yorks all I see is Tucanos buzzing around like demented gnats (not of the folland type) anyway Great Pics !!:-D

Not silly at all - the Mk 3s have been "reverted" to Mk 2s at Boscombe Down and are now either in service or will be very shortly.

Andy

I think they are all in service now Andy. Most of the batch went straight to the sandpit. Here is a sad sight for the aircraft fan. Boscombes Herc heading out for the chop.

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

waited for an hour for these snaps, well worth it....