just sat there

Willyslancs

No mistaking the serial number on that GMC/Dodge/other(?), Willyslancs, but what make is the utility/car sat next to it? :confused:

Not sure but looks very much like a Packard a neighbour had 60 years ago.

I like this one better. . . .

Truscott airfield, in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Years ago, one episode of the Bush Tucker Man showed all these old Blitzs lined up and rusting. I also knew someone who managed to visit the site, access was not good, but it seems now that the airfield has been opened up as a base for off shore exploration.

but it seems now that the airfield has been opened up as a base for off shore exploration.

Yes , I've been told its all very strict these days , limited access . The Japs actually landed a recce team on the coast along there. A missionary priest was abducted by a Jap floatplane as he was mooching along the coast in a small vessel, sadly he was beheaded by his captors . In another odd happening, a DC3 was shot down along there and the passenegers and crew made their way to a local mission .

Mike

:thumbsup:what page are you up to:sweat:

Page 22 and 23:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=436246&page=22

MeTruck.jpg

Like Richard said, these trucks were featured in a "Bush Tucker Man" episode, which I used to watch regularly. Not because I wanted to survive in the wild, but because the Major presenting it always had interesting historical stories. Like these trucks and other equipment which were brought in by ship/landing craft to build an airstrip in the remote North of Australia to protect against a Japanese invasion.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mungalalu_Truscott_Airbase

- Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Another HMV found on the Canon Digital Photography Forums. This is a Ford 3-ton 2G8T or G8T. Note the Olive Drab base coat showing through after the red and black paint wears off. Great to see the black out lighting still in place.

90847701.jpg

Under S.M.2451 the UK were delivered with these US-built Ford 3 ton 4x2 6-cyl. 158" wb chassis with stake bodies (source: Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles: Army Transport 1939-1945):

Ford_3_ton_SM2451.jpg

(click on image for large size scan)

Below is a picture of a preserved example, shown at Beltring a few years back:

52607287qgwIjn_fs.jpg

Source: Ferdinand Hejl's photo site

H.

Edited by mcspool

Yes , I've been told its all very strict these days , limited access . The Japs actually landed a recce team on the coast along there. A missionary priest was abducted by a Jap floatplane as he was mooching along the coast in a small vessel, sadly he was beheaded by his captors . In another odd happening, a DC3 was shot down along there and the passenegers and crew made their way to a local mission .

Mike

Mike,

I was able to get in there in the middle 90s, via a RAAF Caribou - it's owned/leased by Santos now and surrounded on three sides by Aboriginal land holdings.

We walked about 15 kms from Truscott to the C47 site. The aircraft is still mostly intact, but the important bits were salvaged long ago. A large hole had been cut into the fuselage, presumably to facilitate that salvage.

This is the plane, which I believe ran out of fuel - there's no evidence of anything being shot up, apart from a few later bullet holes.

Jack

3694087970_7e760ff37b.jpg

Edited by mazungumagic