1908 Dennis Truck

BenHawkins

Andy, I was thinking on similar lines, but cutting the petal shape first and then forming the petals and cutting the outer square. The petal cutting die has to retract to permit the forming and like you I wondered about a heavy duty spring although in reality I think it will have to be a latch.

punch render 4.JPG

punch render 3.JPG

Edited by Asciidv

Is there any need to turn the tips over ? Possibly to allow the gills to sit closer to each other ? If a round hole were punched first, possibly in the same strike as the external shape, it would reduce the height of the petals and centre the pentagonal punch.

David

Thanks for everyone's effort on this. Here is a photo showing the recess on the profile from the underside on the "new gills"

IMG_6359c.thumb.jpg.bd133dc4f1401026190f4e6c1148cfdf.jpg

Here is the best image I have found of the gills used in 1908. I am only reproducing a very small amount of the photo as I am not certain of the copyright. I could easily convince myself that neither the circular (half toroid) feature or the turned over petals are present; I think both these features are to give consistent spacing (spacing looks fairly inconsistent in the photo).

Gills.jpg.c00cd8d5997db977b26c5edb00e9a9f7.jpg

5 minutes ago, BenHawkins said:

Thanks for everyone's effort on this. Here is a photo showing the recess on the profile from the underside on the "new gills"

What is the corner radius? (not that there necessarily is a corner radius on the original ones) 

The torus is easy, I think. 

7 hours ago, Asciidv said:

I wondered about a heavy duty spring although in reality I think it will have to be a latch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_press_tools says: 

In general, cutting force (CF) can be calculated using the formula: CF =L x S x ζmax

The square has approx 90mm perimeter, is 0.25mm thick and the shear strength is about 275N/mm2:

So to blank out the square needs about 6kN. 

Zoro list a 50mm dia die spring with a stiffness of 700N/mm so even that would be compressed by 8.5mm. 

Cutting force could probably be reduced by faceting the die, as is done with Q-max cutters. 

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 19.28.13.png

14 minutes ago, andypugh said:

And bigger is easier, as I don't have a slotting head...

With the latest update, this is less of an issue as I abandoned the square follower design, so the square die recess is only 12mm rather than 30mm deep. This makes it rather easier to mill with a 4mm cutter. 

Andy, Ben, if you want sharper corners I can wire EDM the bits. It might be an advantage to wire EDM everything from tool steel so that hardening is not necessary, Barry.

( Ben, does what you have drawn give a completely turned over tip to the petal or just a little flange at the end of the petal ? 

Edited by Asciidv
Afterthought!

2 minutes ago, Asciidv said:

Andy, Ben, if you want sharper corners I can wire EDM the bits. It might be an advantage to wire EDM everything from tool steel so that hardening is not necessary

It would also be an easy way to get back-relief, 

Though my current design has turned features on the punch and follower. (the earlier link should now show a rather re-worked design, using much smaller bits of tool steel. 

I like this punch. Simple to make and producing 40 in a single stamp. Although after they have been punched they need cutting out, a laser profiler would make short work of the task. Only 350 swings of the fly press against 14,000......I wonder which the glamorous assistant would choose?

10 minutes ago, Asciidv said:

I like this punch. Simple to make and producing 40 in a single stamp. 

Looking at the eccentric layout of the punches I think that these probably stayed in one piece (which would make for a stronger but impossible to repair radiator)

They were made to make an citroen V-shaped radiator, so he had to make a left and a right side. The pins can be screwed out and moved over to the other side, to make the other side. You could make one with a few pins in a row and punch strips of steel and than cut them up?