Best Degreaser?

ajmac

Any Ideas guys?

I always used to use a version of 'Gunk' manufactured by a local agricultural chemical company. The company has gone now and I just brought some 'Gunk' from the high street, I always remember it lifting off the oil and dirt then turning into an emulsion when washed. In an hour the item was dry and oil free. The current version of Gunk lifts the grime fine but doesn't seem to emulsify and thus is really difficult to remove and leaves a slimy residue. I imagine the original formula that I was using in the 90s has been outlawed by environmental regulations....

What degreaser are people using now?

Try using undiluted traffic film remover. If you have a "Killaspray" type weed killer sprayer, just spray it on and leave it for about ten minutes and everything will come off.

Better still, wash off what you can with a pressure washer first and then spray it. If you have carbon stains or dried on oil residue; spray it and scrub it with a stiff parts cleaning brush.

People like Autosmart or Comma (TFR) do a very powerful cleaner, and the advantage of it is that you can dilute it and wash all your vehicles with it. That way you wont waste good money on a single purpose cleaner. A word of warning though; make sure you do dilute it if you use it for washing your cars paintwork as it will stain it on a hot day.

Jus' tryin ta be helpful. :)

Most of the modern degreasers are not quite as effective as the old ones. Everyone who remembers Genklene mourns its demise. Brilliant stuff but it was "carcinogenic" this and "skin cancer" that so that had the kybosh put on it.

Comma Hyper Clean is pretty good but it doesn't smell very nice and there are a fair few traffic film removers and driveway cleaners which at the right dilution will do the job. You tend to need to soak things in the water based ones rather than wash them down and I've found that some of them do nasty things to aluminium alloys if you leave them in too long.

Parafin isn't bad but isn't that easy to get hold of any more. Most stuff we clean is done in petrol. Not very clever because it isn't good for your hands and it is a very serious fire risk but it's always on hand isn't it? Large scale cleaning is done with a hot water washer. That works pretty well. Messy to clean up afterwards though.

I can still get hold of trichlor through a mate of mine, eats grease like nothing else. petrol / diesel mix, as removed from cars filled with the wrong fuel is pretty good if you can find a source of it.

• 6 months later...

Hmm, being new to the maintenance front when I repacked my wheel bearings I used white spirit as a degreaser... seems to shift a lot of stuff whilst not being as nasty as petrol or parafin... eats through latex gloves though!!

Takes a while to evaporate after cleaning so need to make sure you've got all the stuff off before applying fresh grease.

I though trike was legislated out of existence years ago! We have a substitute at work called "Zerotri" It's OK, but not a patch on the real thing.

The best degreaser that I have ever used was with the MoD, ICI Genklene, a 1.1.1. trichloroethane product. Sadly no longer available due to Montreal Protocol in 1995. Stocks were sold until 2000. If you want to clean an item of all grease traces, then one of the brake cleaners is good stuff.