Victor Takes To The Skies

jerry.ice

Came accross this article on another site.

After seeing and feeling the victor at Elvington do a fast taxi run this must have been quite a site, though the crew probably have another memory of the day!

Read in one of the aviation mags that the event organisers asked people not to publish any pics of the incident, like that was going to happen!

Victor takes to the air again... kinda

During the Cold War Jets Open Day at Bruntingthorpe Handley Page Victor, XM715 accidentally became airborne for a few brief moments during a high speed taxi run. The former Cold War Warrior is not on the civil aviation register so technically this is illegal however the Air Accidents Investigation Branch is not intending to investigate. Its not known why the Victor took off or if the aircraft was damaged in any way. What a wonderful sight it would be to see the aircraft airborne again, properly, though!

getAsset.jpg

I followed the recriminations to this event on Pprune, and a couple of other aviation forums. If you look, you'll see that the pilot concerned has contributed his perspective.

I just hope that this inadvertant event won't prevent future fast taxi runs.

I would love to see the Victor and Vulcan flying together but sadly dont think this will ever happen. Has any video of this come onto youtube yet? It's also true that given any chance the pc h&s lot will do there best to spoil any activity they either dont like or understand.

Totaly agree, would be great to see one flying for real again, however with all the ups and downs involved with getting the Vulcan to that stage and its ongoing funding issues I can`t see it happening soon if ever.

Also hope this doesn`t stop other fast taxi runs as have seen both the Victor and Buccaneer perform these at Elvington.

Going back to the Vulcan, it was great to see it flying last year at Southport Air Show. I last saw one flying at Cosford air show in about `87 when it stole the show. I hope it manages to reach Windermere air show this year, which has got to be the greatest backdrop for an air display in the UK

Going back to the Vulcan, it was great to see it flying last year at Southport Air Show. I last saw one flying at Cosford air show in about `87 when it stole the show. I hope it manages to reach Windermere air show this year, which has got to be the greatest backdrop for an air display in the UK

Do you know which part of the lake/surrounding area the flying display centres on? I've seen the dates posted but no indication of top/bottom end etc. Any info?

cheers

The display area is over the lake by Bowness. The main public area is down by the Glebe with some static displays. The aircraft last year approached from both North and South, as for a couple of years it coincided with the Sunderland Air Show and the display aircraft seemed to either be going to or coming back from their. Last years highlight was the Typhoon, stunning manouverability in the confines of the area.

The display area is over the lake by Bowness. The main public area is down by the Glebe with some static displays. The aircraft last year approached from both North and South, as for a couple of years it coincided with the Sunderland Air Show and the display aircraft seemed to either be going to or coming back from their. Last years highlight was the Typhoon, stunning manouverability in the confines of the area.

Thanks for that.