Problems ta\king the H test!

Had my H test booked for next week untill I got a phone call from the examiner who wanted to have a look at the vehicle. When I explained it was a CVRT i could hear his tone change, when he did turn up today to have a look at the Sabre, got the answer, NO you cant take your test in that it just is not safe. He was supprised I even drove it on the road. He told me I would have to cancell my test and either find another test centre or get a refund. I had a previouse test booked but had to cancell due to a doctors appointment, when I had spoken with that examiner he had no problems and seemed to be looking forward to the test as he was planning to ride in the turret. Shish I could have made the first test date. Wondered if anyone else has had the same problems and how they got around them. Or if anyone can help me out. Just want to take my kids to school in the Sabre is that such a problem??????????

I would ask him to put in writing exactly why he thinks it's not safe... if it meets all the criteria for a test vehicle there shouldn't be a problem... dozens have taken a test in a CVR(T)

Just want to take my kids to school in the Sabre is that such a problem????????

You still can, you don't need to be accompanied while diving on L-Plates in a tracked vehicle...

you still can, you don't need to be accompanied while diving on L-Plates in a tracked vehicle...

Are you sure about that Lee -

I thought you had to be accompanied by a full H licence holder?

Agree with you asking him to put in writing the problem with the vehicle - Mike and Vince took their tests in CVRT.

Are you sure about that Lee -

I thought you had to be accompanied by a full H licence holder?

Don't have to be accompanied in a tracked vehicle... most tracked (dozers etc) vehicles only have one seat anyway so no room for passengers...

The test is usualy taken with the examiner outside the vehicle... or so I thought??

if the vehicle has more than one seat, you must have someone with you whenever you are driving. The person supervising you must sit in the front passenger seat and be fit to drive the vehicle, for example, they must not be drunk. They must also be aged 21 or over and have had a full driving licence for at least three years.

I presume that as CVR(T)'s etc only have one front seat you don't need to be accompanied..

Edited by Marmite!!

here's what is need for a suitable test vehicle..

Track laying vehicles steered by their tracks - category H

Before you can apply for a provisional licence for a category H you must have passed a test for a vehicle in category B.

You must be at least 21 years old to drive these vehicles.

It is your responsibility to make sure that the vehicle you are going to use for your practical test is legally roadworthy and has a current MOT certificate (if required). The vehicle must be fully covered for use on the test and for you to drive.

Your examiner will ask you to sign a declaration that your insurance is in order. The test won’t be conducted if you can’t do so.

Your vehicle should also display:

a valid tax disc

L plates displayed to the front and rear (or D plates in Wales if you want)

L plates should not be displayed:

on any windscreen or back window where they could obstruct your view

where they will cover any lights or indicators

If you do not comply with these rules your test may be cancelled and you could lose your fee.

Unsuitable vehicles

Your examiner will check that your vehicle is suitable on a practical driving test. The test cannot be conducted if the vehicle:

is operating on trade plates

does not display a valid tax disc

is carrying any loose items which could fall off

has damaged lights or indicators

has broken or missing mirrors

is carrying any load

could be a danger to other road users due to damage

is fitted with an item of equipment which may cause a danger to other road users

has such a poor view that you need another person to help when carrying out manoeuvres or at junctions

The condition of your vehicle

Your vehicle must:

have clean number plates and lights

not be carrying a load, or be partly loaded

not be towing a trailer

not drop mud or any debris on the road

Your vehicle must also be mechanically sound. All equipment required by law must be fitted and working correctly.

His reason would come under

" has such a poor view that you need another person to help when carrying out manoeuvres or at junctions " as he reconded that I could not see safly behind me, I would guess that if forced to test me he would fail me anyway so may not be a problem on that end. The chap who would have been my first examinaer I guess would not have been a problem as he seemed to be very pro. You know how you get a feeling about someone before even meeting them well this was one of those guys. I would guess I just have to play his game. From the point he got out of his car I could see on his face he was negative. Even though he came to my house over a week before the test, He was not interested in shacking my hand, bad start for sure. I would guess he is one of those who dont understand our hobby and love of things out of teh ordenary.

I know I felt gutted that he would not test me, have sepnt hours practicing my reversing around corners as well as pulling away from the curbes. Learnt along time ago you cant change some peoples minds, I just need to find an open minded examiner. It is a pitty that you cant fight these people.I want to get a fair test and feel if I make an issue over this they will test me to the letter, easier to just try and find another test centre who are more open minded.

When this chap came I was working in the garage and he showed no interest in what else was in there unlike most people would have.

I'm curious as to the "road legal" requirement too. When I took the test at Nick Meads place we never went anywhere near the road. None of the 432's we used had tax discs or registration plates (other than the Military ones). Lights worked and mirrors were fitted and that was it.

Test involved driving around a large island in a field, pulling in behind another vehicle then pulling out again, reversing into an opening, pulling out in the opposite direction, emergency stop and 360 deg. turn. Followed by the highway code questions. FWIW - I got failed for not looking around after the emergency stop - a fair point.

Reason I'm curious is I was going to book a test over at Gt Yeldham - there is enough room in front of the hanger and an island of vegetation to do the test adequately in the OT.

Failing this - didn't some one say Diggerland do "H" tests???

I am doing my H test with terry, just waiting for the date to do it...there is a movement in the DVLA that is trying to ban...wide vehicles...winebagos, old military stuff etc...not because they have a record of being unsafe, just that they say they are too wide...accident will happen eventually etc etc..

And there is much thought about banning ex military vehicles from the road and tanks and the like are certainly coming more and more into the lime light due to those users who are taking them out more and more often...an accident is waiting to happen.

But since most of these things travel at less than 30 mph and speed is the main cause (not) of accidents I cant see the reason for all this trouble....we may have to start a fight on this very topic at some stage in the future...

I'm curious as to the "road legal" requirement too. When I took the test at Nick Meads place we never went anywhere near the road. None of the 432's we used had tax discs or registration plates (other than the Military ones). Lights worked and mirrors were fitted and that was it.

Test involved driving around a large island in a field, pulling in behind another vehicle then pulling out again, reversing into an opening, pulling out in the opposite direction, emergency stop and 360 deg. turn. Followed by the highway code questions. FWIW - I got failed for not looking around after the emergency stop - a fair point.

Reason I'm curious is I was going to book a test over at Gt Yeldham - there is enough room in front of the hanger and an island of vegetation to do the test adequately in the OT.

Failing this - didn't some one say Diggerland do "H" tests???

When I passed my Test in the Army. All we did was drive a Dozer round a field basically! The examiner when usually a civillian. will generally NOT posses an H catagory on his own licence. I am led to belive they are more concerned in the fact that you are totaly in control of the vehicle. IE: you can drive it, manouver it, & safely STOP it.

Most examiners who take you on the road I would imagine would be most interested in something like a CVR(T) because it different & out of the routine norm!

I would make enquires with the examiners ofice & make an appointment for you to meet up with an examiner who is willing to talk to you beforehand.

This will save time, money, trouble & stress on you! Good Luck Mate. :thumbsup:

I do think with the second examinaer that not having him test me was a good thing . I had thought of hiring a mini digger for a test but could not find one that was road legal. The examinaer gave me the contact details for his manager but do think that if I push the matter with that office I will end up getting a full test with no room for any error and it being as hard as can be. The chap examinaer did tell me that he had planned a full test covering all that would be used in a standard car test. What I dont get is why someone personal views are allowed to come into play when testing somones ability to drive. The CVRT family are no bigger than a landrover 101 ambulance and have about the same visability. Should have played the race card. "It becouse I'm a tank driver" Think that would work?

I took my H test in a mini digger that the examiner was well aware was not road registered on private land, as aranged with him in advance.

To my great surprise 15mins later I had a pass certificate in my hand and hadnt been anywhere near a road!

The test cost me about £45.00 and the digger hire £70.00 pretty good value I feel especially as I used the digger to do some work later that day (after having a whizz in the 432!)

However I must add this was 4 years ago

Providing you can supply a separate commander the tester should have no excuse not to perform the test.

They are civil servants providing a service to the public so as others had already said, on request they should provide a written explanation for the reason not to provide a test.

Examiners can be twitchy. I lost a bus test because as I was going througfh the pre test checks with the examiner some total ***** stranger barged in to the test bay yelling for directions. The examiner classed it outside interference and cancelled the test!:argh:

I thought the H test was conducted from the side of the road or a following vehicle (like the bike test). The training I'm doing instructs the driver to put the vehicle into Neutral and jump out of the seat and look behind if visibility is bad.

Are you sure there wasn't something more seriously wrong with the vehicle - mirrors etc?

Agree with Lee -

CVRT has no more restricted vision than HGV - how to you see out the back of an artic when it's pulling a 40ft box trailer.

I would complain to the testing station - just make sure if you win you have a different examiner -

I thought the H test was conducted from the side of the road or a following vehicle (like the bike test). The training I'm doing instructs the driver to put the vehicle into Neutral and jump out of the seat and look behind if visibility is bad.

Are you sure there wasn't something more seriously wrong with the vehicle - mirrors etc?

Thats what the examiner asked for when I did mine. When the first guy did this for his reverse manouevre one of the guys walked out behind the vehicle and said to the eaxminer "I'm an OAP - I've just walked out behind this vehicle after the driver has made a visual check from the top. He would have seem me walk out in the mirrors but as I walked out when his back was turned he never saw me".

Led to an interesting (and friendly) discussion of the topic of rear vision and checking before manouevering. Conclusion was you can't cancel out stupidity or senility so the exit and walk to the back approach was the best option still.

This issue of visibility was the reason VOSA gave me for having to have a rear-view camera system fitted to the OT to be roadworthy - but thats another story!!

No the only reason I was given was down to reduced visibility to the rear. I spoke with the manager of the test centre and still got no where. I wll have to try another centre close to where I live. I will make a complaint about the test centre after I have passed my test with another centre, dont want to rock the boat to much , you know how they can c,lose ranks. Its just gets me how one persons pregadists are allowed to interfere. If I could find a private road near to sheffield or a freindly famer to let me take the test there as a start point. I know they are not kean on walking to far. I had thought about the minidigger angel but not sure about the road work as I was told it was to be on public roads.

No the only reason I was given was down to reduced visibility to the rear. I spoke with the manager of the test centre and still got no where. I wll have to try another centre close to where I live. I will make a complaint about the test centre after I have passed my test with another centre, dont want to rock the boat to much , you know how they can c,lose ranks. Its just gets me how one persons pregadists are allowed to interfere. If I could find a private road near to sheffield or a freindly famer to let me take the test there as a start point. I know they are not kean on walking to far. I had thought about the minidigger angel but not sure about the road work as I was told it was to be on public roads.

This is oh-so-true!. I found the Chelmsford office had been ringing around all the adjacent centres when I tried to get the OT registered at Sidcup!! :argh: :argh: :argh: Lady there actually said "Oh - thats the one Chelmsford rung us up about"!! :argh: :argh:

• 2 weeks later...

I took my H test in a Scorpion in the summer of 76. We practised with instructor and second trainee in the turret positions and first trainee driving (obviously).

We spent as much time if not more on the SPTA driver training area outside the back of our barracks, Aliwal Barracks Tidworth than we spent on the roads (though we did cabby out to Andover, Everleigh or Stonehenge for a bacon butty and a brew every morning).

Day before our test, our instructor showed us the route he wanted us to take over the driver training area the following day (when he'd be replaced by our SQMS, the QTO) before moving on to the road element of the test.

I went first and spent a good while attacking knife-edges, serious inclines up and down, etc before Eskimo Ness (the SQMS) asked when I was going to take him on the road. We joined the A338 and drove down to the (old) A303, turned left up the hill toward Thruxton then right toward the Wallops. Pulled over soon after turning off the old A303 and swapped. That was it.

I recently discovered that I hadn't seen my driving licence for some time and it wasn't in the pocket where it belonged. Yesterday after much angst wrt original proof of identity documents, I got my new licence. I was quite concerned that I couldn't find a Group H qualification, I know it's unlikely I'll ever drive one again, but the barstewards were not taking it away from me without a fight. It's mine. Mine, I tell 'ee. Didn't help that I knew they had changed all the categories a decade or more back (I'd had the previous licence since I moved into my current home 22 years ago).

Eventually, licence in one hand, user guide in the other, I found that group H has now become Group h, and there it was indeed, tucked away right at the end in the small print.

That saved me a fight. Shame, I do enjoy shouting at incompetents down the phone.