Problems ta\king the H test!

You seem to have to do a great deal for your H-Tests. The H-Tests conducted around us simply involved people driving up and down a private road with the instructor on the road watching them. They conduct the test using a M548 that has been modified by having the cab-removed providing cracking visibility. - I have never seen anyone do anything with reversing around a corner.

I also heard a rumour that you where able to take a H-license test in a mini digger, that would be easy!

I would go down the mini digger route but , i was told by the examinaer that it had to be on public roads and mini diggers are not road legal unless there is a way round this which someone can let me know.

there are road legal mini diggers for sure....its easy to register a tracked vehicle for the road...sign your v112 and away you go, no mot tax it and insure it and you are away, as long as it has lights indicators if it is reasonably new and a brake light your fine...

Anyway taking my test on the 23rd with Terry brooks in a scorpion...will then no doubt be adding scorpion to my list of vehicles to buy...

You seem to have to do a great deal for your H-Tests. The H-Tests conducted around us simply involved people driving up and down a private road with the instructor on the road watching them. They conduct the test using a M548 that has been modified by having the cab-removed providing cracking visibility. - I have never seen anyone do anything with reversing around a corner.

I also heard a rumour that you where able to take a H-license test in a mini digger, that would be easy!

In nearly all instances, the examiner himself will NOT have an H cat on his/ her licence.

The examiners priority is to observe that the driver is safe & competant to drive that catagory of vehicle. His concern is that the driver IS IN FULL CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.

So, if you can drive it, stop it, turn it, reverse it, SAFELY. You ARE competent to drive that class of vehicle.

The rest, road signs, roadcraft theory Etc is down to all potential motorists in any vehicle Road driving test.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

In nearly all instances, the examiner himself will NOT have an H cat on his/ her licence.

This is true. When I took my Group H, I had just bought my first motorbike, like many in the squadron right after our return from Northern Ireland. A Staff Sergeant in another troop had just passed his Qualified Testing Officer course. His troop all pestered him to test them on motorbikes. He refused, saying that it felt wrong passing somebody on a test he wasn't himself qualified on.

I lent him my bike for a couple of weeks so he could himself be tested (by the squadron's other QTO I imagine), then he returned me the bike, along with my pass certificate.

• 1 year later...

dad took his h-licience 3 weeks ago with terry brooks in his scorpion. the examiner from the local DSA office in herne bay was a top friendly bloke and seemed dedicated to getting him through the test successfully. Terry himself fills you with confidence and the scorp is a fantastic vehicle to use. terrys site is ideal for the test it consists of a couple of dual lane sections on a quiet factory estate, what looks like a section of old runway and 400 metres of b-road. the test consisted of left and right circuits, emergency stop and a 3 point turn. obviously you should be in control at all times, have the correct placement and use of mirrors and indicator etc. We can recommend terry to anyone, he's good straight talking bloke and for anyone travellimg from afar, there is a holiday inn next to the site

When taking mine I was explicitly told you couldn't take an H test in a tracked excavator - the reason being that although they're 'track-laying vehicles steered by their tracks', you can already drive one (on your cat B car licence) due to one of the exemptions in INF52 for engineering plant.

Stone

• 3 weeks later...