Airfix SLR, plastic toy from many years back

Lone Star were the other 'gunmaker' of youth. They made a superb die cast Webly Mk5 Revlover, and the dreaded spud gun. They ghad the licence to use the James Bond and Man From U.N.C.L.E. logos. My favourite, often seen in the hands of TV assasins at the time was a C96 Flat side Mauser, with attaching butt barrel extension and telescopic sight. I did get to own the real thing until........no going high order political. :argh:

PS The green bit at the bottom of the Johnny Seven unclips to become a pistol.

http://www.nicholscapguns.com/lonestar.htm

Edited by Tony B

• 10 months later...

Anyone remeber the film ad for 'The Young churchill'? With simon Ward standing over the bodies of slain foes? I saw one that somebody had added a ballon saying 'Now for those bloody miners!'. :-D

My favourite was the Lone Star Mauser that had da barrel and butt added. A carbine such as that was often seen in 1960' things like Dangerman etc as an assasins weapon.

• 1 month later...

When I was a nipper, I dug up the remains of a Mauser machine pistol from our back garden.

Rusted solid, with no grips - I was the bees-knees with the other kids, each wanting to swap

their new Lone Star Chrome Colt pistols for it. Can't remember what finally happened to it.

• 3 months later...

I never got the Airfix SLR, I had to make do with a realistic-looking, cap-firing Luger. My dad, then Permanent staff with a TA LtAD unit in Dunfermline, made me up a wooden Bren Gun, complete with folding bipod (always kept folding back when you least expected it) and interchangeable magazines. (that was back in 1958).

In recent years, my son and heir (then 9 or 10) wanted a Winchester. it had to be a Winchester! He found one when we went on our annual cultural pilgrimage back to the UK. He developed this marvellous one-handed reloading action. Chuck Norris - watch out! The supplied bullets did not last long - fortunately, based on previous experience, I made a mould from one of the bullets and cast some out of soft material for him. He was the scourge of the local wildlife in our area!

Did anyone else have one of those "Sekiden" pistols that fired bronze-coloured plastic balls via a strong spring? Sort of a fore-runner to today's airsoft weapons as they had a completely unrealistic magazine size, forty or fifty rounds. And of course we just wandered round the street playing with them and no-one batted an eyelid ... :(

Andy

Still Googling for it in case one turns up. following one lead to a thread on ARRSE about the very same thing. Not starting with the SLR but general memories about toy weapons we had as kids and the FN features but the Johnny Seven wins. Vaguely remember the Johnny Seven, but it was make believe, having something real but in small scale was much better. And if you didn't, then might as well use a stick.

Then this turns up on the thread, Stick Guns, brilliant:

You folks sure have brought back happy memories. Remember wakeing up VERY early Christmas day and santa had left the 'Johnny Seven' on my bed. Never thought I would see a pic. of one again.

Andy, with a tear in my eye.

Did anyone else have one of those "Sekiden" pistols that fired bronze-coloured plastic balls via a strong spring? Sort of a fore-runner to today's airsoft weapons as they had a completely unrealistic magazine size, forty or fifty rounds. And of course we just wandered round the street playing with them and no-one batted an eyelid ... :(

Andy

I fondly remember the Sekiden pellet guns. I had great fun with them!:-)