Airfix SLR, plastic toy from many years back

Evening all

At a loss where to throw this one in so Wepaons it is. Many years ago, aged 9 I think, I had a toy SLR. Now, Dad was a Rockape and ex-QCS so to have a scale version of an SLR was pretty cool.

I've got de-acs on the Pinkie now but somehow, back then, that brittle black plastic SLR was even cooler.

I take my youngest with me to shows, Jack is now 9 and wants 2 things to take to Eastnor, first is the toy SLR, the other is a ghillie suit. The ghillie suit is the easiest to do, albeit time consuming (it's a brilliant premise, do you want to know how to get a kid that age to behave, be quiet and keep still? Get him into the toy sniping thing, building a bivvy, cams it up, pair of old binos, compo and a flask of screech and the hours just fly by. I'm just sorry he won't experience the joy that was cheese possessed.)

I'm expecting to pay Top Dorrar for one of these since collecting tacky toys has become mainstream but has anyone here still got theirs? What do you mean you never had one, you'll tell me you never had Super Flight Deck next. Look, I lost mine in an MFO box somewhere between Wickrath and Catterick OK.

Evening all

At a loss where to throw this one in so Wepaons it is. Many years ago, aged 9 I think, I had a toy SLR. Now, Dad was a Rockape and ex-QCS so to have a scale version of an SLR was pretty cool.

I've got de-acs on the Pinkie now but somehow, back then, that brittle black plastic SLR was even cooler.

I take my youngest with me to shows, Jack is now 9 and wants 2 things to take to Eastnor, first is the toy SLR, the other is a ghillie suit. The ghillie suit is the easiest to do, albeit time consuming (it's a brilliant premise, do you want to know how to get a kid that age to behave, be quiet and keep still? Get him into the toy sniping thing, building a bivvy, cams it up, pair of old binos, compo and a flask of screech and the hours just fly by. I'm just sorry he won't experience the joy that was cheese possessed.)

I'm expecting to pay Top Dorrar for one of these since collecting tacky toys has become mainstream but has anyone here still got theirs? What do you mean you never had one, you'll tell me you never had Super Flight Deck next. Look, I lost mine in an MFO box somewhere between Wickrath and Catterick OK.

I bet you lost the Bayonet that came with it first! :cool2:

There was a Thompson 1921 to go with it. Spent many happy hourd in and out of bunkrers sniping at the enemy with one. My late Mother decided to drive her Singer gazzelle off road once, 15 feet sheer drop followed by about 150 foot down a 1:1 slope covered with trees and bushes. She, my neice and car survived. She said afterwards while she was sitting in hospital, a Police oficer came in with a plastic Airfix SLR in one hand and a bible, he'd found in the car and said 'Well, you were ready for anything'.

There was a Thompson 1921 to go with it. Spent many happy hourd in and out of bunkrers sniping at the enemy with one. My late Mother decided to drive her Singer gazzelle off road once, 15 feet sheer drop followed by about 150 foot down a 1:1 slope covered with trees and bushes. She, my neice and car survived. She said afterwards while she was sitting in hospital, a Police oficer came in with a plastic Airfix SLR in one hand and a bible, he'd found in the car and said 'Well, you were ready for anything'.

Yes those far off Halcyon days of 'Warfare' as a kid were marvelous.

I lost count of how many Victoria Crosses I won in enemy 'engagements'!

The SLRs from Airfix were very popular & now WHEN you encounter one. Are very expensive collectors items! The barrel was the weak point on these, always snapping off. Still I was a potential Armourer then, so it wasnt a prob. Went on to fix many THOUSANDS of the real things later in life! I remember when my Father was stationed in Germany in the late sixties. I bought a version from the N.A.F.F.I when we did our weekly shop. It was all metal with a working action that fired a roll of caps. I never fired caps in mine which today would make it mint. It had plastic furniture & a plastic sling with removable plastic magazine. It was very detailed as I recall & a realistic shrunk down version. I would love to have that hanging on my wall now! :-\ Oh those childhood memories.........:coffee:

REMEBER: Boys dont' grow up, thier toys just get more sophisticated! (& Expensive!) :yay: Mike.

I think I know teh meatl one you mean. Can you imagine the uproar now? Let a kid loose with a metal real looking gun AND add explosive materials like caps? :shake: There was also a cracking good metal Webley Mk 5 revolver available about that time. Expensive though about 7/6 (That's about 37 1/2 p to you sprogs)

I think I know teh meatl one you mean. Can you imagine the uproar now? Let a kid loose with a metal real looking gun AND add explosive materials like caps? :shake: There was also a cracking good metal Webley Mk 5 revolver available about that time. Expensive though about 7/6 (That's about 37 1/2 p to you sprogs)

I never 'Encountered' the Webley. I bet it looked good! :cool2:

It would probably come under the VCR act now. & who can blame them!

It would most likely make a kid want to turn to Crime & rob a Bank with it. Instead of instilling care of weapon handling & only 'attacking' bad guys with it. Such a fearsome toy would turn a boys head today! Forget instilling patriotisem & Military Pride in your Country. (Is it still OUR country?) :sweat:

No, it's far more fun to Hug a Bunny with Mixemitosis or a Tree with Duch Elm disease! :argh: Opps! Im starting to rant about the joys of living in a 'Free Country' (Free, as long as you shut up & do as your told!)

Best shut up & walk away Meekly! :??? (Undefended, of course!)

Top piece of kit. Complete with reloadable magazine that fired little grey bullets. Spent hours sniping 1/32 airfix soldiers across the living room with it. Mine also got the assault rifle conversion of shortened barrel via a particularly stubborn door frame as I engaged in CQB and house clearance missions.

Ian

My dad took me to see A Bridge Too Far, i was quite young at the time, but the local picture house wasnt too bothered about a bit of film classification rule bending if you were with your dad!

A few days later he bought me a Thompson Sub Machine Gun, i seem to remember been able to cock it, and it made the classic tak tak tak noise when the trigger was pulled.

Our estate was transformed into a FIBUA training ground!

i won every war on my street as a kid everyone wanted to be on my side i was a proud owner of a johny seven big green gun with built in rocket and grenade launchers wow :)

Show off! Ahh those were the days, health and saftey was don't go into stinging nettles in shorts. How did we ever survive?

how true they was the days . i think someone got the idea for rambo watching me run round the sreets shouting with a gun bigger than myself ahh , lol .:)

The one gun I ALWAYS wanted was The Jonny Seven. Do you remember those? What a fantastic mobile arsenal all in one gun!

The machine gun was great, you just pulled a cocking handle back. It was an internal ratchet mech. & as you pulled the trigger, you got bursts. Awesome. My parents couldnt afford one of those for me in those days. But I managed to make up for it in later years by geting lots of real ones! .........:banana:

I had the SLR, but it got left against a radiator and it melted (or maybe thats just what my Mum said). I also had the Thompson with the loadable magazine, but was always very dissapointed by the lack of range. The best ones i had were two pistols that fired rubber suckered darts with a really significant force. Steve once fired both directly into my eyes from a range of 6 inches. Ah, happy days.

Tim (too)

Still Googling for it in case one turns up. following one lead to a thread on ARRSE about the very same thing. Not starting with the SLR but general memories about toy weapons we had as kids and the FN features but the Johnny Seven wins. Vaguely remember the Johnny Seven, but it was make believe, having something real but in small scale was much better. And if you didn't, then might as well use a stick.

Then this turns up on the thread, Stick Guns, brilliant: