FV434 Steering Box

Metroman

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi Phil,

I assume you mean the 2 locking nuts on the outside rear face of the steering box, to lock the brake adjusters?

If so, the parts book lists them as:

Nut, precision, UNF, "P" steel, hex, chamfered, zinc coated, 5/8in, lock.

..I think that must be the adjuster, the main nut is about 43-45mm. 40mm is to small, 46mm to large.

:coffee:

These vehicles were built with Unified threads, measure in Inches to find the correct fitting spanner.

40mm is approx 1 9/16" and 45mm is approx 1 13/16", so at a guess it could be either, 1 5/8" AF or 1 3/4" AF

Spent Sunday changing the steering box oil, put the covers down, stowed the gun back in its deck clamp.....then remembered I was supposed to measure the nut!

Have a day off work Friday to finish getting the Abbot ready for this weekends show, will measure it then for you.

...yes item 20, this nut is very large !!

There was dedicated ring spaner for this nut. I remeber having one in my toolbox when I worked in the 432 section for my last six months before retraining for another trade. it is very thick gauge steel (Almost 1/2" thick all round) appor 10" long.& looks like a handled saucepan, but obviously a hexagon cutout in the centre. This was heavy duty so you could hit it with a hammer to unlock, or tighten the lock nut after adjustment. After all, you would not want this nut to unscrew during use on the road!! :shocked:

There must be a N.A.T.O stock number for this item. After all, our section sergeant put in a demand (Spare request) .for one for each of us for our individual usage .to make life easier instead of having to keep going to the g1098 stores to sign one out! :cool2:

Borrowed an assortment of sockets on Monday, job done :yay: only need to do a test run, see if the adjustment is enough.

A QUICK guide for adjustment is:

Look at the cutout in the interior tan coloured padding which is done to give clearance for the tops of the two steering levers.

With box COLD, pull a lever back one at a time to JUST take up the slack.

Using your fingers as a guide. Measure from the tips of your fingers against the hull to the rear underside of the palm of your hand.

the levers SHOULD only pull back that far & then adjustment is correct.

As all vehicles are individual, the vehicle should be be test driven afterwards to confirm correct functioning. Too much & the band will get hot & constrict & subsequently slow the vehicle down.

Too little & you will have to re-adjust as the lever will come back too far.

NOTE: It must be borne in mind that using your fingers as the gauge.

You MUST have the standard Issue Mark I Hand!

If you have small hands, allow a little LESS adjusting the band up!

Just a QUICK guide used in service as a standard check. Easy to do in seconds at ANY time...........:coffee:

Hope this is of some small assitance to you. (And any other 430 Series owners!) Mike

The spanner that Ferretfixer mentions was known to me as a cletrack spanner (haven't an igloo if this is anything to do with the tracked vehicle of the same name) and we also used to use it for the locknut on top of the Chieftain handbrake bands.

Don't know if it was the manual setting (A-mechs knowledge of the "small stuff" was learned by osmosis) but we used to set the steering tillers to 6 inches from front armour measured at the padding cut-out which pretty much equates to what has been said,

Ian