Signeds on Vehicles

ManuelK

Hello friends,

now i need your help. I´m building an M3 Haltrack as an Personalcarrier in british Service, I want to station that somewhere in Northafrica 1941- 43.

I didn´t found any pics of that in Sandyellow, or desert yellow. What i found was an Scoutcar.

question 1

on left side there is an sign square red with counts 53. thats the unit, right ?

where can i read more over this unit?

question 2

on the right side of the vehicle is a round sign ( yellow ) with the count 5 in it.

what does this mean ?

question 3

did anybody knows pictures from some m3 halftrack, coloured desertyellow or sandyellow, stationerd in northafrica?

216432544_26ea7be3d0.jpg?v=0

Edited by ManuelK

May not be of use to you .......but you could paint it Olive Drab put some Balken Crosses on it and portray a Afrika Korps vehicle captured from the U.S. troops :cool2: there is evidence of this in photographs.

The yellow plate with the 5 on it is the bridge classification (weight) for this vehicle i shall see if ican find pictures if the british used them at all??

Ashley

No, not really. Most everybody are building some wehrmachtsmodels thats why i´m searching for some different but interesting originals. Like LRDG Chevi, or SAS Jeep ( they are my next projects ).

i know that the british army use M3 Halftracks

M3Half-Track003.jpg

on left side there is an sign square red with counts 53. thats the unit, right ?

where can i read more over this unit?

The RED sign with 53 means the vehicle was part of 33rd Armoured Brigade from August 1944. Previous to that it was HQ 1st East Riding Yeomanry. Also, this sign should be on the other side of the vehicle.

The yellow plate is the Bridge plate. 5 seems a low number for a scout car, but I'm not sure what it should be.

The scout car pictured is now in the Tank Museum, Dorset. Previous to that it was owned and restored by Mike Hofman, who lived in the Swindon area before leaving the UK.

Wow..

That's got to be the oddest camouflage I've ever seen on a British (used) MV. Surely it can't be right? Also, I thought that the red/white/red RTR flash was only used on tanks.

On the other hand, Bridge Classification 5 is spot on.

I see i have to learn a lot about british vehicles. The stuff is very interesting and difficult for me.

Ok, what i found out is the sign on the left fender

When i see it right, this must be 7th Armd. Div.

the animal looks like an kangoroo, some like that. But there is another 7th Armd. Div. 1939 with an rat in this field, known better as desert Rats. Damn that making me confuse.

The red square with the number is the unit code sign. This by itself means nothing other than the third regiment in an armoured brigade. It should be read in conjunction with the formation sign, missing in this case.

The halftrack picture, which is an M5 not an M3 has the 7th Armoured division formation sign and a unit code sign of 65 in a red square. This doesn't really fit as I don't think there was such a unit code. Halftracks were generally in the infantry brigades which used codes of 60 for HQ and 61, 62, and 63 for the regiments.

The only reference to a 65 on a red background used in the middle east that I can find refers to the armoured brigade HQ for a mixed division 17/10/42 - 10/43. I suppose that it could have conceivably been used on an M5, but then that means the 7th A.D. plate is wrong, as it would have carried an armoured brigade sign (The 1st - 4th - 7th - 8th - 9th - 10th -22nd - 23rd - 32nd were all in the Middle East but one would have to check up further on dates), and/or possibly the parent infantry division sign.

I hope this is useful, but I know that the chances are that it's just made things more confusing.......