One of my trains caught fire.....

Grasshopper

This is one of the diesel units i work on. Wasn't my fault.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8003774.stm

The fire was due to a collapsed wheel bearing. This unit had recently suffered from soft wheels which were not round anymore which then causes vibration. The wheels had been turned (machined) back to correct profile, but i guess the damage had been done. Ironically it's due for a bogie overhaul next week! New wheel bearings were fitted on Saturday and it was back out in service today.

As a point of interest we have a multi-million pound wheel lathe which can turn 4 wheels at a time while still attatched to the train bogie. It's a very impressive piece of kit, and is mounted in a 4 metre deep hole in the floor so the train just drives onto it and then work commences.

They send the units to the cleaning facility at Streatham hill. They even have a special "biohazard" body parts bin.

The worst incident I have had to deal with was a unit that hit a flock of sheep. It smelled of hot diesel engines and roast lamb. That really messes with your brain, as a train shouldn't smell tasty! Fortunately there was not really any gory stuff on the unit. They have some seriously thick obstacle deflectors (cow catchers) on the front of the diesels. I've banged my head on them enough times!

They send the units to the cleaning facility at Streatham hill. They even have a special "biohazard" body parts bin.

The worst incident I have had to deal with was a unit that hit a flock of sheep. It smelled of hot diesel engines and roast lamb. That really messes with your brain, as a train shouldn't smell tasty! Fortunately there was not really any gory stuff on the unit. They have some seriously thick obstacle deflectors (cow catchers) on the front of the diesels. I've banged my head on them enough times!

Yes I can understand the mess & cleaning aspect. :sweat:

I was in the Met Police after I first left the Army. I was stationed at Norbury just up from Croydon.

I had to 'Liase' a couple of times with the British Transport Police over suicides & accidents at the Station next to our copshop.

We were invariably the first on the scene to see if 'First Aid' could be administered. But the usual routine was to secure the area for evidential purposes. I can attest that a Train can make a right mess of a Human Being! :-( There is something very saddening i think, when someone feels there is no place to go or no one to talk to in the depths of dispair. And they feel they have no option but to take thier own life. :-( The other side of the coin is. Some people think it also very selfish. Some poor Soul has to clean all that mess up to prevent the Public from being upset at all the 'Damage'! :argh:

Keep up the good work. :yay:

This is one of the diesel units i work on. Wasn't my fault.....

This unit had recently suffered from soft wheels which were not round anymore which then causes vibration. The wheels had been turned (machined) back to correct profile, but i guess the damage had been done.

Do they still use removable tyres shrunk onto a plain wheel, or is it one piece these days?