Cobham bus rally.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

PS, nice shot of GS34,MXX 334 my dad used to own GS36, MXX 336

My Dad has owned GS 67 (the maroon one that he also painted red for a laugh/to annoy bus nuts) for 40 years now. He also has 2 of the 5 remaining ex BEA 1 and a half deck airport coaches.

My friend drove the Dennis pig fire engine to the show. I drove it once, and every time you go around a corner, the bell rings!

Vince (ex vintage bus engineer)

My friend drove the Dennis pig fire engine to the show. I drove it once, and every time you go around a corner, the bell rings!

Vince (ex vintage bus engineer)

I was ringing its bell too going down the A3 as passenger going back to Dennis's with said friend, its always been in Dennis ownership being the works fire engine from new in 1936 until the 1990's

general pics 340.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

I just love the Maroon East Kent Leyland? How I would love to own one.

Its got style, character, graceful looks, and probably sounds great. Old buses have always fascinated me since I used to travel to school on what I think was a Leyland PD2? I loved the sound of the engine and transmission, the smell of paint and hot engine inside the bus, and often used to stand behind the driver and watch him driving it. None o' yer sissy auto boxes in those.

Bus travel in those days was a lot more relaxed than now and another thing I remember was the bus stations. Uckfield had a bus station which was always busy, drivers and conductors walking around with ticket machines and getting ready to take the buses out. People sitting around waiting for buses, bored children running up and down the front of the cafe, patterns in the rainwater from the buses leaking oil and fuel. Mechanics in the garage servicing and repairing minor faults with lights. Buses had a warm homely feel to them created by the soft lighting of the round interior light bulbs (40 watt?) None of yer nasty flourescent lighting..

......... etc, etc

Happy days. How I wish we could turn the clocks back to those days and do it all again. :)

There are some fabulous looking machines there, many of which i dont recognise at all. So thanks for posting.

Interesting that the bus enthusiasts are such fanatics, even more so than us. But viva la difference!

Restoring a bus is i think much harder than an MV, because you have to get the body work and paint just right, otherwise it will look awful. Then you have to keep the thing looking shiny as well.

Tim (too)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Surely an RM shouldn't have a bathroom installed in the first place.....:confused:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:T..t