Pig Project

Jamie just a second thought. I'm assuming that your rad has not been bodged about.

When you stand at the front looking at the Pig, the filler cap is on your right & the pressure release valve on your left. That valve is secured by 6 small screws & there is the drain tube off to the left.

I once did see a bodge whereby the pressure release valve had been replaced by a car pressurised rad cap!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Job cancelled today so up to field i went with a big drum of anti freeze , and the sun in the sky , opened both drain cocks on the rad and block , got out some brown gundgy water then clean blue anti freeze, let the lot drain out ,then stuck the hose in the filler cap to flush the whole system through.

Whilst doing that stripped off the thermostat housing cover , and boiled the kettle to have a brew and then test the thermostat, brew done poured the kettle over the thermostat , with hose removed and down it went , closed when left to cool and opened again , with another brew, resembled the housing , hoses, closed the cocks and filled it up with a 50% mix.

Tightened up the fan belts that were so loose i could pull the fan round with little effort .

Let the engine run up to temperature and idle , sat the purring away to its self , no drips , no leaks , no overheating .

Strange one but now onto the tyres and rims

jamie

wheels stripped , rims cleaned , surprising, just how much rust has formed on the inside, used a 9" angle grinder with a wire cup wheel toclean the rust and a sds hammer drill with a chisle tonrumove the stuborne bits , could not have removed the tyre s myself , tryed failed, so went to the local agri tyre fitter who pressed them off supplied new flaps and tubes and rebuilt for £65 a tyre , which i thought was very resonable , considered that he stripped the tyre i took it way , cleaned it and returned them to him to work his magic.

IMAG0238.jpg

Next to do get rid of the awful crap sand paint and get it ready for a coat of deep bronze green , :D

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

Jamie I find it quite scary with a wire cup in a large grinder in case I lose control of it! I find it safer & more satisfying with a needle scaler & creates flakes of debris rather than so much dust although I do finish off with wire cup.

So what are you going to do about the split tyre? Do you have another?

Am i correct , pigs should be on baor be deep bronze green gloss ?

think it has been asked before ,

on cleaning the wheels and nuts up , the wheel nuts should be white and the split rim nuts should be red? is this right .....

and does anyone have a correct looking number 6 for the weight plate .

thanks

jamie

Edited by poppypiesdad

Jamie the reason nobody has replied is that the painting of wheel nuts is an old chestnut/can of worms. Here is one of the threads:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16050-Wheel-nut-painting&highlight=white+wheel+nuts

I can scan you a nice '6' from a large stencil kit, but not sure why you would want to display this on a Mk 2.

The Mk 1 was originally painted with Dark Admiralty Grey primer followed by two coats of high gloss Deep Bronze Green. The Mk 2 was initially painted HG DBG & subsequently Olive Drab, then in later years IRR NATO Green.

So if I was you I would be tempted to HG DBG, it will stay smarter for longer!

BTW what did you do or planning to do, about the windscreen hatches?

Jamie apart from the accepted truism that an owner is entitled to paint whatever bits on their vehicle whatever colour they fancy, from an authenticity point of view it is undeniable that many vehicles were embellished with white wheel nuts when in service.

Despite there being no regulatory requirement to do so & in fact there were prohibitions, many units did paint these nuts white. In fact I restored a vehicle that eventually I did paint in this way because the most in service vehicles were so painted. The reason for units do so could vary from a belief that it might guide a driver away from fitting the wheel brace on the smaller nuts of the divided rim (!), unit pride feeling that it looks smart or maybe copying the scheme from another unit.

I was never 'told off' by a veteran, in fact once I was told it was turned out in better condition than when on parade in service. But generally veterans will not want to cause an upset & just walk off.

In private hands embellishing the vehicle in the way that others have done or in order to make it 'look the business' can get out of hand & start to look ridiculous. Few will dare question the way the vehicle is presented. Although at W&P I was once challenged by a veteran who felt confused & peeved that a vehicle he had served with looked in his view ridiculous. He felt it had too many markings, over painted thingies, guns & flags which not as it was in service.

I just walked away & in my defence muttered "No idea mate, not my vehicle" :D:D

So in summary red nuts yes & white wheel nuts if you want to.

Jamie apart from the accepted truism that an owner is entitled to paint whatever bits on their vehicle whatever colour they fancy, from an authenticity point of view it is undeniable that many vehicles were embellished with white wheel nuts when in service.

Despite there being no regulatory requirement to do so & in fact there were prohibitions, many units did paint these nuts white. In fact I restored a vehicle that eventually I did paint in this way because the most in service vehicles were so painted. The reason for units do so could vary from a belief that it might guide a driver away from fitting the wheel brace on the smaller nuts of the divided rim (!), unit pride feeling that it looks smart or maybe copying the scheme from another unit.

I was never 'told off' by a veteran, in fact once I was told it was turned out in better condition than when on parade in service. But generally veterans will not want to cause an upset & just walk off.

In private hands embellishing the vehicle in the way that others have done or in order to make it 'look the business' can get out of hand & start to look ridiculous. Few will dare question the way the vehicle is presented. Although at W&P I was once challenged by a veteran who felt confused & peeved that a vehicle he had served with looked in his view ridiculous. He felt it had too many markings, over painted thingies, guns & flags which not as it was in service.

I just walked away & in my defence muttered "No idea mate, not my vehicle" :D:D

So in summary red nuts yes & white wheel nuts if you want to.

Oh Poo they look yellow on my PIG????? And before I get slated, that's the way they were when I got it and I believe the PO didn't do it as he knew his stuff and this vehicle was MT banked in his collection as far as I am aware.

Makes you wonder white? yellow? silver? I have seen them all over the years! :nut:

today was the first real outing of the pig , to the scottish military vehicle group swap meet in brdge of earn , just outside perth , 50 mile round trip ,no mishaps , no running problems , and a huge grin from ear to ear

met a few NI veterans tat ouldnt belive there luck at getting another sit in a pig after 30 + years , and another boar REME mechanic that used winch version in germany , so the perfect person to ask about wheel nut and rim nut colours , stright out said that red for the split rims and green for the rest of the wheel , the only time he recalled ever seeing a pig with white painted wheel nuts was on a ration wagon with the inside painted white as well ,

great to hear it straight from the horses mouth , brought back a few memories for the old chap ,

great day out , only use about half a tank of fuel , early nightwith a huge grin fixed on my face .

jamie

today was the first real outing of the pig , to the scottish military vehicle group swap meet in brdge of earn , just outside perth , 50 mile round trip ,no mishaps , no running problems , and a huge grin from ear to ear

met a few NI veterans tat ouldnt belive there luck at getting another sit in a pig after 30 + years , and another boar REME mechanic that used winch version in germany , so the perfect person to ask about wheel nut and rim nut colours , stright out said that red for the split rims and green for the rest of the wheel , the only time he recalled ever seeing a pig with white painted wheel nuts was on a ration wagon with the inside painted white as well ,

great to hear it straight from the horses mouth , brought back a few memories for the old chap ,

great day out , only use about half a tank of fuel , early nightwith a huge grin fixed on my face .

jamie

Jamie that is amazing mate and glad you had a great date and the old girl did you proud......

I believe mine is BAOR and don't know for sure if 4th Guards badging is carried through from original or not??? I will be hoping to do some stripping back of layers in due course and hope to expose something........Fingers crossed.

I look forward to that Grin appearing on my face in the future :-D:-D:-D:-D

I will also ensure I don't repaint the wheel nuts in Yellow, as they are now.........Especially after Clives research / message and also your input from old REME chap..........

Edited by Rover8FFR
added sentence

morning wayne , no sorry my number plate is 32 BK 96 , civilian TAS239, ive got magnetic plates that i got made up to cover the normal reg plate for display and well half of it fell off and didnt notive till we we leaving , so no magic just a half slipped plate :)

jamie