Pig Project

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops forgot pictures

Started at the servo and bled the brakes again and loads of bubbles and 2 liters of dot4 later we have brakes and to celebrate took the pig for a spin in the snow

Had a fun afternoon but annoyed the neighbours slightly but ...........

Now all i need is a volkes filter seal and can do with my temporary filter

Will get some piccs up

But heres some film from the summer solstice

http://www.youtube.com/dexscotland

and yes it was tactical sandles

Jamie

• 1 year later...

finally after a bit of a pause on the pig i,ve stared on it again

Got a couple of new batteries

finally found some winscreen wipers from Tex Automotive ltd

Got a good steering wheel finally

got it insured as well And got recovery with it as well

pics soon as will be the first time back on the road

in a good long while

jamie

New filter housing sorted , fitted and working

New steering wheel fitted

and most important rear compartmentlight fixed, isnt amazing how you get side tracked

As my pig never had any hatches fitted when i got it , been toying with the idea of fabricating something similar maybe of lighter steel

any suggestions?

Jamie

Oh yes what a shame I see what you mean & why it has been painted light stone on a Mk2 seems a little bizarre. Its such a shame when these things get cut off that they are not kept to one side for a future owner to re-use.

On side step to avoid front vision blocks would be to fabricate visors that were initially fitted to Mk 2 conversions. The vision blocks & hydraulics came in fairly soon but were not on the Mk 2 as it initially appeared. Photos are consequently very rare. But if you were thinking of that I can search some out.

This is the best full frontal I have. You will see this is a Mk 2 & happens to be a foamer. You will also see the door flap has a vision block. A little earlier these door flaps were made with no window at all. One can see when the flaps are down a frame & clamping bolts. I suspect these were made in readiness for the vision blocks & the holes cut out when the blocks became available.

The position & size of the hole in the visors suggests that this is for the No.17 periscope to still be used & that suggests underneath there may still be the original Mk 1 visors. Without those visors it would awkward rigging up a mount for the periscopes & indeed if the only protection was the new flap it would make this the most vulnerable part of the armour with two men immediately behind it.

I'll find you pictures of these & I have a few from above shots showing the visor's profile. So it could be turned round to depict an early Mk 2 which would be interesting to see. But you will need to have my photos at hand to show it was once done that way;)

Mk2visor01.jpg

This is the best full frontal I have. You will see this is a Mk 2 & happens to be a foamer. You will also see the door flap has a vision block. A little earlier these door flaps were made with no window at all. One can see when the flaps are down a frame & clamping bolts. I suspect these were made in readiness for the vision blocks & the holes cut out when the blocks became available.

The position & size of the hole in the visors suggests that this is for the No.17 periscope to still be used & that suggests underneath there may still be the original Mk 1 visors. Without those visors it would awkward rigging up a mount for the periscopes & indeed if the only protection was the new flap it would make this the most vulnerable part of the armour with two men immediately behind it.

I'll find you pictures of these & I have a few from above shots showing the visor's profile. So it could be turned round to depict an early Mk 2 which would be interesting to see. But you will need to have my photos at hand to show it was once done that way;)

Mk2visor01.jpg

Hi chaps ! Just been looking at the first pics you posted and your Pig has not been uparmoured on the side around the door so perhaps Mk1 visors and hatches would be appropriate ! I would think they would be easier to fabricate anyway ! Just my opinion ! :-D

It is strange to see this Pig having uparmoured rear doors and Mk1 front doors and extra armour plate apparently never been fitted as the canvas hooks are still present at the front behind the door , I would have thought they would have to come off to fit the extra side armour ! Wonder what the story is ? :nut: Glad to see she's coming along nicely though !:-D

Andy I agree those 3 side hooks by the door would have to have come off for uparmouring. The top one is still cut off, the lower two I imagine were put on after the armour was removed when the home made ant mount was fitted. You can see it might not be correctly sloped like a proper one.

Ok they are Mk 1 doors but Mk 2 doors are just Mk 1 with another layer on making them very heavy. Hence Mk 2 doors had door stop restraint springs & you can see the mountings for these are in place which would serve no purpose with Mk 1 doors.

There are Mk 2: gutterings over side hatches, recovery eyes, mirror stalks.

Anyway Jamie you can go Mk 1 or early Mk 2. Here is a view of the early Mk 2 flaps showing Mk 1 visors underneath. If you do decide to go Mk 1 & manufacture the door side flaps. I have a spare pair of mechanisms for the small circular viewers & of course can sell you a Mk 1 canvas which is essential.:D

Mk2visor02.jpg

Yes I know you were just testing me;)

How about the early Mk 2 visors? At first I thought there was a little flap below the hole but I assume that is extra armour as that will be the man's face just below the periscope hole.

Here is an early Mk 2 before side vision blocks in the doors.

Mk2visor03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello mate ! I don't think anyone will reply to this on here as there could possibly be legal problems as this size are not origional fitment ! Just my opinion mate ! I may well be proven wrong as usual ! :-D

My thoughts as well Andy. Once I had sorted some messages I was going to post something similar in case it looked as if we were ignoring you Jamie:D

I sold a set of 4 tyres on wheels some 18 months ago. I have a spare set here but I'm hanging onto those until my time comes I'm afraid.

All I can suggest is you will need to look for a Mk 2 that is seriously mechanically compromised but with ok tyres. Swap the wheels, take/sell the bits that you need then weigh it in as they say. Terrible thing to say I know, but there aren't enough original tyres to go round. Very occasional odd ones do turn up when someone is having a clear out or moves etc

Notice I say Mk 2 don't use Mk I tyres on a Mk 2 as they will not be strong enough & besides may be 15-20 years older.

Mk 1 marked HS RF

Mk 2 marked REINFORCED

There is a chap Sussex way with a Mk 2 who fitted some sort of lorry tyres a few years back & he seemed to get on fine with them. But not being runflats has to carry a spare around.

• 5 months later...

Got the pig fired up today and out into the sunshine idleing as usual when noticed a drip from underneath , antifreeze , opened the bonnet hatch to see coolant spweing from the filler cap , never done this before , thought head away and did a water test to see if it was and luckly its sound , however the fan belts were loose could it be that ive just overfilled it and its just slipping on the pully ideling giveing no coolant circulation .

and in the winter clear out it seems that ive lost my manual and workshop manual , cant seem to find where i got them before ? any help pleases

jamie

opened the bonnet hatch to see coolant spweing from the filler cap , never done this before

Jamie it shouldn't be leaking from the filler cap at all. Unlike cars that have a pressurised cap, in the Humber the cap should just be a seal there is a separate pressure relief valve that blows at 10 psi. The valve is at the other end of the top of the radiater & has a drain tube to dribble onto the ground.

Was there any sign of over heating? Check you have enough coolant, tighten the belts, fit a better seal on the radiater cap & try again.