Drive it day

Grasshopper

A question for you Mike , I see that chain fall on several different trucks and understand its for lifting the spare on and off the body , but does isn't it a risk keeping it fitted and encountering some tree limb or other that would tear it off or severely damage it , rather than laying it down inside the body ?

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a very tiring day putting the final bits of CVRT back together. Just a few oiling jobs to do on the external running gear, 2 deck covers to refit and then it's ready for the road (he says.....). I even taxed it today! (first time in 4 years).

The current plan is to leave the farm in Wallington with the CVRT at 1300 and drive 20 miles down the A22 to another farm in Burstow, ready for a May bank holiday show near there. Anyone who wishes to join us in a vehicle is welcome! We were going to have the WLF in convoy too, but are short of a driver.

This vehicle has not knowingly been further than 2 miles at any time in our ownership, so this could be an "interesting" trip!

Image008.jpg

Well done getting it finished in time Vince!

Hope all goes without a hitch, or need to use the WLF recovery service....

I have a route of about 15 miles planed for the Abbot, which has not been more than 12 feet in my ownership yet!

Could be an interesting Sunday all round.

Bloody working all day on the 26th (in the office now). New version of job is total pants - but atleast I still have one. Many good old friends gone after 23 years.

Hope to take the MUTT for a spin on Tuesday if I can get my other jobs done in time. The Mrs will have a list by then. :-(

Anyone going down to Brighton for the HCVS run the following sunday?

MB

Well, after putting on my official smile as per the instructions from Vince, went for a drive in the Abbot.

Being its first ever road run, I was expecting a few teething problems, but found one big one...

Was quite smokey on pulling aout of the barn, and after the half mile run to the nearest safe stopping place, there was a lot of smoke! Also a lot of oil coming from the hull/exhaust, not good!

Run was abandoned and it was a nervous drive back to the barn to investigate.

The cause was quckly identified, all fluid levels way too high.

The Abbot had been checked over and topped up before delivery, so I did not worry much about levels, my mistake and lesson learned.

We decided, as the oil was nice and hot now, we would do an oil change.

Once out we found that rather than 30 litres of engine oil, we had nearly 60.

Will drain and replace all other fluids in the week and have another test run next weekend.

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

Today several members of the Scottish military vehicle group drove to a venue near Lauder for a blether, lots of food and several gallons of tea.

Attending were two champs, four 101's including a vampire, and my battered and badly in need of a lick of paint 109 11A.

A good time was had by all.

On the way back, three of us stopped to look at a medieval hospital on Soutra Hill, just off the A68. A few years ago archaeologists were digging here, and there were "Keep out, Danger of Plague" signs!

DSCF0083 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0085 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0086 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0088 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0095 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0099 (Medium).jpg

DSCF0100 (Medium).jpg

I took my m20 out for a ride for drive it day and rather wish I had not,after stopping in a parking area in front of some local shops to adjust the carb I lent down to turn the mixture screw and as I looked up what do I see? a black vw golf reversing straight at me ,next minute left leg squashed against bike and then right leg trapped under bike and hot exhaust.The car driver got out saying sorry he did not see me and was I okay,I said could you not hear me or see me , he said not (must be deaf as well as blind because that bike aint quiet)anyway I took his details only to find he lived next door to a jeep owning friend of mine.Fortunately only damage to my bike was scratched paint but he needs a bumper repair some paintwork and a new rearlight(and perhaps some mirrors)

Nigel

Well, after about 3 hours of tidying, pottering and servicing, it was time to hit the road. Pleased to say that the CVRT made the 20 mile trip in fine style, only pausing to tighten the O/S mirror which fell down. Was good to see many other old vehicles on the road as well. Also lots of waving and grinning going on!

We did suffer a minor casualty in that one of the final drive top hat covers went AWOL. Should have fitted the extra screws that Nigel gave me last year! Also the left steering disappeared towards the end of the journey, so I need to re-bleed it.

With wide grins all round we went back and brought the WLF down as well. Both vehicles are now in place for a show at Blindley heath over bank holiday weekend.

Image001.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Driveitday013.jpg

PW has allways liked these in black and this ones no plate has got her initials on it,is that spooky or what.

Driveitday011.jpg

Driveitday010.jpg

Driveitday008.jpg

Nice to meet Landyman Rob.