Illuminations Convoy.

The North west military collectors ,are trying to gather together the largest possible gathering of military vehicles to go through the Blackpool Illuminations!.

This event will take place on the weekend of 12/13th of September,there is camping available,

. For more details please contact Bob on 07974445550.:coffee:

Update, The Guiness book of records team have been contacted with a view to trying to get an entry into their next book, for the longest military convoy through the lights.....

(just noticed its mentioned in the Blackpool Whats on guide ).

Edited by Willyslancs

• 5 months later...

The run is the second Sunday in October. All Jeeps meet up at Bookers at the end of the M55, usually around 10 o'clock. Then everyone leaves in convoy up to the Cenotaph on the front at Blackpool and all park up. People then go off and do their own thing until later in the afternoon when those that are remaining move off to drive down the illuminations, again in convoy. After that they head for a suitable hostelry for some food.

I will get confirmation of details nearer the time. We used to go down on to the beach at South Shore for a drive and a group photo. This was stopped as the organisers found out the guy who gave them permission didn't have the authority to do so, ooops!!

H1HU

Fairhaven vehicle rally is on this sunday too,so if anyone is up here for the illuminations its a nice free event to go to.(nice laid back rally on the sea front, things for the little uns too ).

Can I have some more info on this please?

Thanks

fairhaven rally is run by the blackpool vehicle preservation rally (they charge £2 which goes to the club funds ) nice atmosphere turn up should be room , starts about 10.

Just back from the illuminations fiasco , roads packed, we moved a short distance in about hour and a half,(it would have helped if the police had sent us through instead of the other traffic) was told they were calling it a day and they were all turning round.williamsd and myself met Chevpol . jeep ran brill (doesnt like sitting in traffic) only second time out in the dark in 24 years so was an experiance . sorry pics not brill others took loads so im sure they will appear :-(

(pics were taken as vehicles were turning up)

bath, 004.jpg

bath, 006.jpg

Edited by Willyslancs

Thanks for posting those, I would like to have been there but too busy taking advantage of the first bit of dry weather for months to try and make some haylage. After your comments it's a good job I was too busy, I wouldn't have been happy making the trip only to go nowhere!

Although its a long time since I've been to see the illuminations I was there every year through my youth, never drove through we always used to get a tram from Thornton/ Bispham way , go right down to South Shore , had to get off there and then get back on after tram had turned round then back as far as Talbot Square then go for supper. Always a great night out that I look back on with nostalgia and affection, the tram was definitely the best way to see the 'lights'.