Hold The Front Page

Snapper

After a minimum of consultation between the Bunkerbusters and Jack, we have elected to enhance the front page to take in more news and reviews in addition to having features and show reports.

This is the point where you all scurry off to hide behind your PC monitors, because I am about to ask for your help.

What we would like to do is get the wider forum family to contribute to the front page. Your opinions on new and old books, TV, film and all manner of products would be gratefully received. This does NOT mean you have to write pages of stuff. We propose to do round-ups where a simple paragraph on a given item would suffice in addition to the longer stuff by those who wish to do so. A thumbnail image of the item and any relevant info - where to buy, ISBN, prices, websites etc etc would be most welcome.

For show reports we welcome a selection of images, you might post in the forum anyway, to make a round up. It might be you offer a snap for the front and put extras in the forum. It works all ways. We don't propose critiques of events as such, just the who, what, when and wheres to keep things on the straight and narrow. You can make your opinions in the forum as usual.

News, features and show reports will hopefully have images which expand, like pop-ups I suppose, without being technically minded. I would imagine a lot stuff would effectively be images with extended captions because reading articles on the web can be very dullsville on the eyeball. There are technical things to work out yet way beyond my knowledge. But Jack is on the case and Joris is looking busy as well.

Features might be walk rounds of vehicles, battlefield stuff, guides to kit and kaboodle, you name it - it's your train set.

It's a collective thing. No stars, no egos, just coverage.

None of this effects the forum where we carry on regardless. We just want to make the front a place where people can find out what is going on or see what they have missed. There will be no favour towards brands, organisations or any dilution of the things we all like best about HMVF.

So, Jack is the man for news and I am the chap for features and reviews.

Please comment and offer suggestions.

We would like to build a regional panel of people we can ask to do stuff or who come up with it regardless. The facts are simple. We do this for fun, not wages and to reach all corners of the UK and abroad we need help. Geography is a key factor.

I hope all this makes sense. Jack may well comment if we can get him away from his road map of the Netherlands. Right now he is trying on his Overloon pants.

MB

sounds good, particularly if there's new stuff regularly on the front page.

When you talk about reviews of things? - do you mean shows and so on, but also product reviews? Can we go as far as endorsing things as a body (HMVF), or would the views have to be confirmed to those of the reviewer? I'd like to read people's comments but also a simple 'marks out of' as well, or perhaps a thumbs up/down etc?

On something slighter different, I liked the map of members locations we used to have, could something like that go on the front page to demonstrate how wide spread we are?

Lee - I am only being diverse mate - I respect equality and all that!!!

I think it is important to have as many females associated with our hobby as possible!!!

Honestly - I am.

But under H&S rules they must be suitably dressed to work on MV's...

sounds good, particularly if there's new stuff regularly on the front page.

When you talk about reviews of things? - do you mean shows and so on, but also product reviews? Can we go as far as endorsing things as a body (HMVF), or would the views have to be confirmed to those of the reviewer? I'd like to read people's comments but also a simple 'marks out of' as well, or perhaps a thumbs up/down etc?

On something slighter different, I liked the map of members locations we used to have, could something like that go on the front page to demonstrate how wide spread we are?

Good points. I see no reason why we cannot give marks out of...but I think we would need a panel to do that and not one person. However, a single review could come with a star rating as long as the personal nature of the thing is emphasised. HMVF endorsing things is perhaps a little more tricky and would need serious thought.

Show coverage should just be reports based on facts - who, what, when. I would hope that views and comments on anything would remain in the forum which is where the strength of what we do belongs. It also stops any grounds for complaint coming to HMVF as a whole. Not being timid, just practical. There has to be a degree of separation.

MB