So quick to scrap

abn deuce

So quick to scrap these items , not they are going straight from shipping crate to being disassembled for the scrap metal by P.O.W.'s. I m sure a number of people on the Forum can identify these

These units were used by every branch of the U.S. Military during WWII and I m sure in Korea and Viet Nam perhaps some are still being used today .

Caption :Prisoners of war taking apart equipment for salvaging. Location: Tooele, UT, US Date taken: March 27, 1946 Photographer: Charles E. Steinheimer

POWssalvage.jpg

any one know what its nomanclature was ?

Well done Adrian , Yes they are exactly that .

the nomenclature for them is "linking and delinking machine.cal.50 M7"

To operate is very simple you would line up the metal links near the front edge of the unit and up to 10 .50 cal. rounds behind them then push the large tubular handle towards the links and there you go just repeat to make belts of ammo.

To delink you put the belt onto the front of the machine drop a metal bar into the rims of the cartridges and pull up on the large tubular handle and the rounds are removed from the links.

Those posts and delinking bars have already been removed by the P.O.W.'s.

The M7's were painted black, but these appear to be O.D.? and had a small table they were mounted on or so I have been told.