How can you fit a baby seat in a Landy

Ian Dunn

I would imagine it would be the same as any other vehicle using the front seat... I would think that if you tried to fit it anywhere other than the front seat in a two seat Land Rover it would be illegal...

Have a look here http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/fitting.htm

Edited by Marmite!!

Unless you fitted a properly approved forward facing seat in the rear I don't think it would either be safe or legal to use anything but the outer front seat. We use a Britax seat of the model supplied by Land Rover ( you can get it cheaper elsewhere) and this is used in a Freelander, Land Rover 90, Daihatsu, Renault Cleo van, Renault Megane and a Toyota. All these vehicles of course use a retractor type seat belt and if you don't have this type fitted it may be advisable to change. Hope this helps.

When my son was born I had a Land Rover Safari, in fact as he was born premature he missed being born in it by about ten minutes. I fitted a Britax bar that was designed for estate cars across the back. This was first used for the carrycot then the child seat.

New born baby seats should be rear facing.

Best that they are in the front were you the driver can see them. Given the size of modern baby seats you may well struggle to even get one in the land rover. The seats aren't the widest and there's not much room from the back rest to the dash board.

I couldn't even get our second stage baby seat to fit in my Bedford MJ, it was that large.

Best bet would be to go to Halfrauds or similar and try a few out.

Happy New Year to one and all...

My Daughter is expecting in May but still wants to go to events

has anyone fitted a baby seat into a 109 FFR series 3 before or has any idea how this could be done ???

Ian Dunn

Ian- Here's a link to a company that supplies 3 point belts for the front centre seat of any landy with a bulkhead behind the seats. This will probably be of limited use as in my experience a newborn(rear facing) car seat will interfere with gear changing. This is not a problem in a series landy with a forward facing car seat.Best to use the outer passenger seat for baby seat if there's enough room between the seat and dash and put adult in middle(happier with a 3 point belt). Obviously there's a huge choice of seats available, so your daughter might find one which is both safe and will fit easily. We took the more expensive option and went for a 109 SW. Happy hunting :-D Daz.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DEFENDER-CENTRE-SEAT-BELT-CONVERSION-3-POINT_W0QQitemZ150297513256QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item150297513256&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318