Dingo under new ownership

abn deuce

Found this at the German Federal Archives site WARNING may be graphic.

Additive: France, Dieppe. - British landing attempt (" Operation Jubilee"), German soldiers on investigation of a captured British reconnaissance tank Daimler Dingo

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-291-1207-112.jpg

Edited by abn deuce

A bit of info please regarding the german archives, i take it these images are through the Wikamedia set up with the bundesarchiv now i get to the site but the search box seems to reveal little if any thing at all, i need to know if this all i am supposed to do or do i need to click on other parts to bring up images similer to these

cheers

Les

if you go to this link just scroll down to the year you want to view and the thumb nail photos will be shown there then click on a thumbnail and it will be enlarged there isnt a slideshow and found it slow but interesting to look thru all the photo's rather than do a sub search http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_the_German_Federal_Archive_by_year

There are many more photo's taken after the Dieppe raid on the Archive site and many more I thought others would post other items of interest to them from there as well .

I think I counted 80 plus photo's of the mission to free Mussolini , of photo's of the bomb blast at Hitlers bunker , others taken all across Europe and sure not all are Military too many show how the German Military delt with the resistance and others.

It is still important to see all of this history the evil and try and find the good.

As one of the member has on his signiture area " Lest We Forget "

Edited by abn deuce

• 1 year later...
Another one, abandoned in Calais.

This is likely to be the dingo left by Bill Close just outside the citadel; chatting with Singe over google maps, we both agreed that the site is now flattened as a carpark and there is no obvious ground level comparison... although the curve in the railway line (also all gone) is a give away for the location...

ackack

First 2 pictures and many more are to be found in the excellent published years ago "Dieppe Through The Lens" including Churchills destroyed on the beaches. The shingle made it virtually impossible for the vehicles to make it onto hard ground.

In fact the 1st photo is the Dingo Hector which actually was the only Scout Car to clear the beach onto the promenade it returned to the beach being unable to advance into the town, it was then blown up by a mortar bomb or shell and flipped 360degrees throwing its crew clear.

As to the matter of Chert/shingle - I wonder if this jackanory will ever end, 15 (out of 29) Churchills (and the Daimler Hector) managed to leave the beach and drove around the esplanade-promenade area (the hard standing) until out of ammunition, those that had not been knocked out returned to the beach to assist in protecting the pinned down infantry and engineers in the hope of re-embarkation- which never came.

Additionally 4 of the 7 Churchills that were towing a Daimler Scout Car failed to clear the beach -I wonder why:shocked: but contrary to the standard story many of the track breakages attributed to chert- shingle could well be due to gunfire this can almost certainly be said of Backer, Belicose, and Calgary. It is significant that many of the track breakages were of the tracks that was facing the direction of fire at the time of the track failure.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
grammar