something for everyone....!

Jack

British Army Engineers using steam shovels to clear debris from the streets near wrecked tank, the aftermath of heavy bombardment and the long bitter struggle against the Germans for the town.

I am now kind of thinking that not one of these vehicles is British???

BritshArmy.jpg

The (diesel) shovel could be British, Jack - I think some were Ruston Bucyrus British-built, some would have been Bucyrus Erie U.S.-built lend-lease machines. The cab looks like a British one, they were pretty much identical mechanically. Possibly a 17/19RB?

Just going to the edge of "off Topic", was every bit of alien kit used by the British technically LEND-LEASE, or did some come out of a pool of spare equipment shipped out to Europe?

For example the Dodge tippers here - were they already in a British Engineer unit or obtained quickly to get the job done?

The Dodge D60 trucks were RHD and were produced specifically to British orders. These trucks were Canadian built and would have been paid for by Britain, the majority would have been 4X2 cargo trucks and were used in large numbers in the Western Desert and Italy.

Just going to the edge of "off Topic", was every bit of alien kit used by the British technically LEND-LEASE, or did some come out of a pool of spare equipment shipped out to Europe?

For example the Dodge tippers here - were they already in a British Engineer unit or obtained quickly to get the job done?

There was a British Purchasing committee in North America during the war and a lot of equipment was paid for. I would be interesting to see a list of what was Lend Lease, and what we actually paid for.

There was a British Purchasing committee in North America during the war and a lot of equipment was paid for. I would be interesting to see a list of what was Lend Lease, and what we actually paid for.

Thats a question I've often wondered about Richard.:???

Good question, thought you might like to see the attached letter. It probably asks more questions than it answers!!

ward la france 1.pdf