7 Dec 1941, pearl harbour

Enigma

Either that or the Americans knew it was on the way and decided it would be better to let it happen as an undeclared act of war. In this version of a conspiracy theory the American leaders knew it was going to happen, they therefore got all the Carriers out of the way and left the more expendable battleships (they could afrford to loose) behind. If the American government wanted the American public on their side, what better than a bit of infamous treachery to get them on side.

At the time it was still possible to carry our a large scale deployment in secrecy. No satillites, no long range reconnasence aircraft such as Blackbird and the time delays of communicating any intelligence, not to mention a mind set that 'yellow men fighting yellow men' was benath notice. Operation of any intelligence network in Japan has always been difficult for Europeans with the obvious physical difrence and the Japanese attitude to Gajin. The consipary theory seems to be a flavour of this time. For some reason it seems easier to accept than 'We were short sighted arrogant, introspective, greedy and lucky to survive'. The information would have been there, just would anyone with the power to do anything have seen it, and accepted it?

If you belive the Japanese side, and there is no reason not to, then the formal declaration of an attack on Pearl Harbour, they would argue it was not a declaration of war, should have been handed in to Washington at least thirty minutes before the attack. The delay was due to the time to dechiper the five thousand word long document. Allegedly US code breackers had dechipred the message nine hours previously. How ever with the weekend and time zone diffrences across continetal US it is doubtful wether the information reached someone who could have acted before the attack took place. This is splitting hairs as it was a prime essential of the Japannese plan that tactical suprise was to achived.

A few days late for the post, but my parents were married in Portland,Oregon December 7, 1941, noon local time.

My dad had been in army ROTC, civil engineering; so was immediately called up. Sent to survey coastal transportation infrastructure, then build an airfield on ADAK Island(where spirit thermometers froze and broke, and diesel engines were NEVER turned off), then the ALCAN highway..... I heard of minus 70 degrees fahrenheit.

I still have his footlocker, wool armycoat and liner, medals, and Sam Browne belt.

A few days late for the post, but my parents were married in Portland,Oregon December 7, 1941, noon local time.

My dad had been in army ROTC, civil engineering; so was immediately called up. Sent to survey coastal transportation infrastructure, then build an airfield on ADAK Island(where spirit thermometers froze and broke, and diesel engines were NEVER turned off), then the ALCAN highway..... I heard of minus 70 degrees fahrenheit.

I still have his footlocker, wool armycoat and liner, medals, and Sam Browne belt.

Fantastic post Espressodude. Did your father take any pictures of this time?

About 1980 I was the coldest person in Europe (for 20-minute periods on stag through the night while a hard anti-cyclone was centred on Senelager). The temperature dropped to -40 (where Fahrenheit and Centigrade converge). To this day, I laugh at people who complain about the cold.

I am sat here shivering at this thought.