humber 1ton

waltz

my rolling chassis, had been painted all over at one time.

Alright I suppose if it's the correct colour. Humber chassis were originally gloss black, but the Pig extension pieces usually high gloss DBG. Later repaints often included the torsion bars & not surprisingly the paint flaked! I've used tyre paint for torsion bars to flex without the flaking.

Must be a recurring theme of the period, my rolling chassis, had been painted all over at one time.

Are you putting the B60 back in or are you doing the same as you did with the Pig.

i am doing the same as the pig but this one has a TURBO:shocked::shocked::cool2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Its not the one depicted on the front of the series one, although that is also a Turner winch crankshaft driven. Mine is slightly larger, runs off my rear PTO output and is mounted under the rear body. It is more similar to a scaled down AEC matador winch with the main body and a drum to one side. I have two of these winches, definately turner make. Was told they originated on a post war Humber. They have a built in electrical overload system which would have been wired into the ignition circuit to kill the engine! (mine is not wired up). Will get a picture sorted next time I'm home.

Finally got some pictures of the winch as been doing some work on the Land Rover this week:

d7773ce3d9e4983bb5c2036a160a0fe9.jpg

c84d403ac1b53941f517a19bd9a4456a.jpg

Apart from cutting down dog clutch lever its pretty much as I got it, the round hole visible in this shot level with the filler plug at the end is where the cut out switch wires would go, I never connected this as the Landrover would drag itself accross the ground when pulling anything too heavy. Did pull one of Dads 16tonners (unladen) up a grassy incline once had to anchor it pretty well. Think they're rated at 2 tons but not certain. Got another to fit to my other 80" one day!

I like those old Humbers.A very rare sight on the show scene these days.There is one knocking about in the classifieds for £7,000.

I am a friend of the owner of the £7k one which was recently for sale and it has sold at very near asking price !!!

• 2 months later...
Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I am a friend of the owner of the £7k one which was recently for sale and it has sold at very near asking price !!!

Say helo to Johnathan for me:-Dcheers cw.

• 2 weeks later...

What remains of my FV1601 was at one stage a breakdown truck. Then got made into a hard top for use with an ATC unit.

As you know many did seem to end up as breakdown trucks. But there were official plans to produce a Lorry, 1-Ton, 4x4, Breakdown, FV1606. This is quoted in some books but no details are ever given. I have never found any details in the museums (Bovy, Beverley & REME)

However I am the proud owner of 57/Vehs A/2900 (GS(W)2) which is the War Office Specification for it (being higher up the chain from FDD/FVRDE). It was intended to recover other Humbers, but the project never progressed presumably for the reason we all know that Humbers don't breakdown :-D

• 2 months later...

I have read the thread and I don't think anyone has told you yet , that the Humber was a 1604A wireless vehicle, usually those after 33BK?? had a good chance of being wireless-backed trucks.Yours looks to have been 36BK 21.

I used to own 35BK00, superb vehicle, suspension brilliant , greasing maintenance nightmare. Wonderful vehicle.

Loved it to bits.

Mike.