youngguns explorer blog

younggun

Moon and stars Nick, soon have em lined up..:D

moon and stars comeing into alighnment once more bernard, will make a proper press realise tomorow once i have the lump back home

and sorry i had to go one better than an exhaust brake :cool2:

Edited by younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moon and stars couming into alinement once more bernard will make a proper press realise tomorow once i have the lump back home

and sorry i had to go one better than an exhaust brake :cool2:

Don't tell us you've found some of those rocket launched scotches you've been after?

Edited by gritineye

well at the momment i will say i THINK i have a jake brake there was a swtich in the cab with the usual jacobs badge and high and low but i am yet to actualy find any evidence on the engine itsself i will now feel like a prize prat if it hasent .

also have a slight problem with fan mountings ( dont blame me oldgun went and checked it out not me ) now looking for the rite bits from another cummins engine to rectify this problem all the bits SHOULD be interchageable :shake:

Edited by younggun

Is there not some electrical connections near the rocker cover for the jake. Could you not fit a couple of electric fans behind the rad? keeps it nice and simple Doubt it will get hot runing down the road with the wind through the rad and when your playing off road your not useing the full power just the revs so electric fans would be fine. just build a new cowel and mount them in that:)

had a look for the jake brake today rob but nothing :embarrassed: all i have is a switch took the rocker cover off and nothing there bit miffed to say the least . i did think about electric fans but i would like to get a belt fan on there if i could and keep the orginal cowling so i can make the cummins look like its been in there from new :D

Edited by younggun

do tell :angel:

I didn't find this turning the sump job easy at all, the problem being positioning the pickup pipe within the sump pan. The pipe is quite big and slightly flared so that when the sump is fitted it pushes onto a short spigot piece that is held in the block by O rings. Accuracy is needed to get the height right and get the sump bolts are to line up and there is very little room to make a turn in the pipe and lengthen it to get go into the sump, and welding warps the pipe.

After I had finished mine I realized that all I could have just taken a hole cutter and made a large hole below the spigot, refit the pan, push the pipe on, modify it to go down to the sump externally, fill the hole round it with a circle of sheet metal and it's done. Do all welding with the pan fitted to the engine to prevent distortion.

All this should tell you that getting a correct sump pan is by far best the way to go in the first place, you may have more luck than me but I never found one, probably best to spend more time looking than doing the work!

Edited by gritineye

How big is the compressor on a cummmins? Do they keep up with the steering ok? The one on the meadows honks wind out, it's like a motor bike engine stuck on the side of the block. Can't wait to see this being fitted. you best take plenty of pics.:D

Don't worry about the jake brake you can always stick your head out the window and :pfrt: as you go past:rofl:

i will have a look and see wot i can do with the sump mite see if i can use some hydralic fittings to let the oil pick up to run externaly

now working on dismantaling gearbox planinng on useing whole front face of gear box will know more of what i am doing when i have all the bits lay on the bech infront of me .

fan problem is sorted i think just need to locate the rite mount and a pully for to fit where the fan is now .

few questions on electrics and pipes how dous one get engine temp and oil pressure to work ? and there are 2 small pipes one from the oil filter and the other from the mainifold i dont know where they go becuse the where detached while being cut up

nick

Looking at that engine Nick, looks like it is an internally damped type. i would have thought that a pulley on the fan drive shaft would drive a fan using a support like mine.

sory to be dumb wot dose internally damped mean i am a little lost on this ?

Edited by younggun

The manifold one may be provision for ether hook up.

having a look at your pix to try identifying the rest.

have all the pics on the old facebook if that helps bernard once i get my head round wots wot i ll be fine think i am goin to have to locate a manual