How one pilot can land two aircraft at the same time!!!

antarmike

Two B-17's from the 100th Bomb Group did the same thing after a collision as both aircraft moved within the formation to fill a gap left by a fallen aircraft. Unfortunately, despite efforts by the crew, the ball turret gunner of the upper aircraft was trapped in his turret and died in the crash landing.

Steve

When the wing 'rips' off, and the aircraft spins downward, it is rotating in the wrong direction for the loss of a wing. The spin looks consistant with a normal spin and an edited out wing. It pushes out inverted in a wings level attitude, while the camera isn't tracking it very well, which it wouldn't do with one wing missing, then continues into knife edge flight. During the final approach, there's nowhere near enough rudder to keep the nose high, and the landing is to short, the bounce is completely fake, then the turn off the runway and prop spinning down to a stop are all wrong.

I believe there was an aerobatic aircraft that sheared a lower wing bolt in the 1980's/90's, causing the wing to fold up against the fuselage. The pilot rolled inverted and it snapped back into place, held only by the top bolt. He flew back to the airfield inverted, and rolled upright just above the ground. The wing once again folded, the aircraft struck the ground hard, but the pilot survived the crash. The story goes on that the pilot sent the remains of the sheared wing bolt to the manufacturer with a letter of complaint, and they returned a new bolt in the post!

Steve

When the wing 'rips' off, and the aircraft spins downward, it is rotating in the wrong direction for the loss of a wing. The spin looks consistant with a normal spin and an edited out wing. It pushes out inverted in a wings level attitude, while the camera isn't tracking it very well, which it wouldn't do with one wing missing, then continues into knife edge flight. During the final approach, there's nowhere near enough rudder to keep the nose high, and the landing is to short, the bounce is completely fake, then the turn off the runway and prop spinning down to a stop are all wrong.

I believe there was an aerobatic aircraft that sheared a lower wing bolt in the 1980's/90's, causing the wing to fold up against the fuselage. The pilot rolled inverted and it snapped back into place, held only by the top bolt. He flew back to the airfield inverted, and rolled upright just above the ground. The wing once again folded, the aircraft struck the ground hard, but the pilot survived the crash. The story goes on that the pilot sent the remains of the sheared wing bolt to the manufacturer with a letter of complaint, and they returned a new bolt in the post!

Steve

If the poster has merely edited out the wing, the plane with the wing must have actually flown and landed from knife-edge with a wing (edited out) nearer the ground. Is that possible, and who would have done it by choice. If the plane flying knife edge doesn't have enough rudder on, then the plane doing the same manoeuvre with two wings wouldn't have enough rudder on either because it wouldn't be getting any lift from the wings.

If the video is simply a normal acrobatic aircraft having fun with two wings, and one has been edited out, then it did actually land in that short length.

I don't see that it can be siad to be a fake on the grounds that the flight is impossible if if was actually done by a real aircraft, and the wing has simply been edited out,

If the flight is impossible, the whole of the last half of the video has to be created from scratch. I don't see it.

Mike, I now think Steve is right, as there are RC aircraft simulators that allow editing of the aircraft, one could be created with only one wing and with a bit of trickery still 'fly' in the sim. The landing does look more like a model and the shadows would look correct in a sim. Check this link to see the quality of images, http://www.aerofly.de/index.html

Very fake! After the wing 'detaches' the aircraft goes into a spin but it's spinning the wrong way, it would spin into the detached wing. The landing looks very fake, he would not be able to correct the attitude at the last second to land on the wheels.

A german pilot has since recognised the airfield as the one he flies from and knows of no such incident. It's not impossible for an aircraft such as this to fly with one wing missing just using engine power but I don't think it's ever happened in anything other than a model. It was made as an ad and is quite well done but still a fake.

To quote Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters;

http://www.starfarer.net/captlock.html

Side Two Track Two

Song 1 HERO WITH A WING (Folk Rock)

I see myself a hero

while one wing falls away

and the dial approaches zero

in a spiralling display.

My past life flashes feverishly,

and lives I did not lead,

like the time I was a hero,

of a weird, outlandish breed.

One arm of flesh-and muscle

and one of feathered scale

I was a hero with a wing

that was of no avail.

I could only fly in circles

like a corkscrew in the sky,

my one wing flapping frantically

while birds just glided by.

I launched myself from mountains

and from the highest trees

although I could get nowhere

and just landed on my knees.

But still I was a hero,

with one wing more than most.

Almost half an Angel;

a whirling holy ghost.

My father was an eagle

with two wings wide as sails

my mother was the west wind witch

with grasping finger nails.

She lured him from his aerie

with her twittering device.

She kept him in a golden cage

and fed him field mice.

In the intrest of fairness, it was only the Starfighter G 4 the German spec one that had the reputation for killing people rather than flying. The cause traces to several things, inexperience of pilots, maintinence and over egging the airframe. A neigbour of ours, ex Bomber command Squadron Leader and chief instructor of aero club, gained noteriety by landing a Cessna 150 on a car roof. Trouble was the car was parked at the time. Though it was only a glancing blow and he landed the aircraft safley afterwards. (Cost him a fortune in the bar though!) Wheres Dakman latley? He'd know the culprit. :cool2:

After a few teething troubles with the aircraft and some big procedural changes to Luftwaffe manning, servicing, etc, the G went on to become a marvellous aeroplane, also being built under licence in Japan as the F104J.

Some raised concerns with the down-firing ejector seat in the F104, but this was universal (and universally hated) in early T tail jets, not just F104s, where it was feared the ejecting pilot would be cut in half by the tail plane. A more powerful ejector seat and upwards ejection was sorted.

• 10 months later...

only just joined this forum so am working way through the threads.

I am of an age when I can remember the 1960's and first came accross the Anson story in a copy of the old flying review magazine a mate lent me, they only had an artists impression of the incident, but I feel sure that it actually happened in the UK not OZ. Look at the trees around the field more Uk as is the car, plane registrations and RAF uniform.