Pellengahr division in Norway

martylee

I've just started on a project where I intend to make a exhibition showing the battle that took place in my hometown Moelv and the surrounding area. The exhibition will take place april-august 2010, which leaves me with 18 months to finish it. The exhibition will have 1) Written information on board telling the story, 2) Photos from the battle that took place, 3) Static display of uniforms, weapons and vehicles and 4) A guide that really knows the history. At the moment I'm gathering information and getting the right people into the project.

Operation Weserübung, the invasion of Norway headed by Nikolaus von Falkenhorst. In the second part of april forces of 196. division of the 21. german army corps went thru Moelv and Ringsaker where they were met my heavy resistance. Group Schäfer with infantery and artillery fought throughout the 19th and 20th before pushing norwegian forces back.

What I need is to know what kind of equipment they were using. Especially there's a 105mm howitzer mentioned in a book I read. But all kind of information about equipment would be apriciated. What kind of vehicles and cannons were they using. If someone has a photo of the Pellengahr division that would be really nice.

I know that these units were in the Pellengahr division.

196. Infanterie-Division

Infanterie-Regiment 340

Infanterie-Regiment 345

Infanterie-Regiment 362

Artillerie-Regiment 223

223 Aufklärungs-Abt.

223 Panzerabwehr-Abt.

Pionier-Bn. 223

223 Nachrichten-Abt.

Hope some of you can help me!

Marty

I did once read a source which stated that the invasion of Norway included a handful of experimental PzKpfw5 tanks, but the experiment was a failure and the tank was quietly forgotten, the designation PzKpfw5 subsequently being reissued to Panther.

One source, maybe 30 years ago, no pictures, no corroboration. Make of that what you will.

There were actually five of these vehicles built...with three going to Norway.

They were photographed in different locations during the invaison purley as a properganda tool.

I did once read a source which stated that the invasion of Norway included a handful of experimental PzKpfw5 tanks, but the experiment was a failure and the tank was quietly forgotten, the designation PzKpfw5 subsequently being reissued to Panther.

Ashley

I do believe you're both right about this experimental tank. I think I have some information about it somewhere, will post when I find it.

But can you help me? I have been studying german artillery for a few hours now, and have found a 10,5 cm LeFH18 (Feld Haubitze) that I belive could have been used. People I have interviewed said it had a long barrel. They also told me where it's firing position was. Photos of the gun can be found at http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/.

I'm also curious about what vehicle that pulled this one.

Marty

One source, maybe 30 years ago, no pictures, no corroboration. Make of that what you will.

Does Neubaufahrzeuge ring a bell? http://www.pbase.com/bankst/image/37615252

Marty

Edited by martylee

I do believe you can find the tank you're looking for at this webpage: http://www.nuav.net/bildberichters.html

Marty

The tank was a "Grosstraktor" or big tractor.

development began in the 1920's.

3 were used in the occupation of Oslo although they were allready obsolete by then.

They were called the "elefanten geschwader" or Elepfant squadron.

http://hosted.wargamer.com/Panzer/multitur.htm

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/leichte-traktor-grosstraktor-i-ii-iii-neubaufahrzeug-pzkpfw-v-vi.htm

Thanks Enigma!

That's a lot of information. As I've been reading it looks like someone at "hedemarksmusset" have made a mistake when they say the tank was left at Ring close to Moelv.It's more likely to be the one at Kvam. At least I haven't read anywhere about one being put out of action in Ring. The study continues!

How about one of you find a nice photo of the leFH18 being pulled by horses...

Marty

• 11 months later...

This summer I did a little digging in the area where the battle was fought. This is what I found:

Bilde110.jpg

A friend of mine went back a couple of times after that and found more of the same. What we found were several unused 6,5 mm bullets and some used 6,5 mm. These were norwegian bullets made at Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikk in 1924-26. Stamped RA and year of manufacture. We also found severel used 7,92mm bullets used by german forces. Also some other metal objects were found. We believe those to be fragments of grenades.

It's exciting that you can find this stuff in the ground after so many years. The bullets usually lay 10 cm under the ground.

Marty

My wife's grandfather fought the Pellengahr Division in Norway in 1940, whilst serving with the Green Howards.

He was at Otta during the very heavy fighting there and I'd love to visit the area and see if there's any sign of this heroic, but largely forgotten battle - it seems to have been eclipsed by the action at Narvik.

Peter

The British troops that came to Norway went into conditions they were not trained for. They also had a lot of bad luck with their equipment that was lost at sea. Must have been terrinle for them.

Not much to see of the battle grounds today. There's a weapons collection/ museum at Vinstra. Haven't been there myself, will do soon!

But the area is amazing. One of my favorite parts of the country. You could travel from Oslo to Otto and over to Aandalsnes where they came ashore.

I'll do some guiding for you if you come over! :-)

The battle ground I'm studying is located a little further south of Otta, about 2 hours north of Oslo.

Marty

• 1 month later...
My wife's grandfather fought the Pellengahr Division in Norway in 1940, whilst serving with the Green Howards.

He was at Otta during the very heavy fighting there and I'd love to visit the area and see if there's any sign of this heroic, but largely forgotten battle - it seems to have been eclipsed by the action at Narvik.

Peter

Green Howards Museam Trinity Church Square Richmond N/Yorks 01748 826561 , this is only a small museam but would think it holds a lot of info :)