Unit markings

Rlangham

Richard

Shouldn't that be the 21st Army Tank Brigade?

I am looking in Roignoli's 1972 book Army Badges & Insignia of WW2. An all black diablo was 21st, but the black diablo with a white flowery thing in the upper triangle was 25th?

Richard

Shouldn't that be the 21st Army Tank Brigade?

I am looking in Roignoli's 1972 book Army Badges & Insignia of WW2. An all black diablo was 21st, but the black diablo with a white flowery thing in the upper triangle was 25th?

Clive,

Dammit, I looked it up in B.T.White's book, British Tank Markings and Names, supposed to be an authority, checked what you wrote, with Malcolm Bellis's book, British Tanks and Formations 1939-45 The sign is the second style, listed in Bellis's book as 21st Army Tank Brigade.

Richard

Richard

Well I really don't know I don't have those two books as WW2 is not my thing. I agree with you that BT White can be regarded as a reliable source.

However I am looking in WW2 Military Vehicle Markings by Terence Wise 1981 describes 25th Armoured Engineer Bgde as a red shield with two vertical blue bars either side of a black diablo. As far as the 21st goes that completely contradicts Roignoli. :?

However I am looking in WW2 Military Vehicle Markings by Terence Wise 1981 describes 25th Armoured Engineer Bgde as a red shield with two vertical blue bars either side of a black diablo. As far as the 21st goes that completely contradicts Roignoli. :?

Clive,

I do not want to get bogged down on this subject, but it seems some of these sources are confusing and according to Malcolm Bellis's book, there were three designs for 21st Armd Bde, as follows;

First style;

Diablo, yellow/yellow

(I assume from this, that is all it consists of, no background?)

Second style;

Yellow/red vertically divided sheild, central black diablo

Reputed third style - Italy;

Blue (or black) diablo, red devil behind diablo, all on yellow disc

This subject is a minefield as during the wartime, divisions, brigades, etc. were joined up with others, moved around, etc. and signs were altered accordingly, it is knowing the period that these changes happened.

Richard

I have had a look in my books on markings.

Howard Cole in "Formation Badges of World War 2" states that 21st Army Tank Brigade originally wore the diabolo in Yellow but subsequently adopted a black diabolo superimposed on a vertically divided shield of Royal Armoured Corps colours of Yellow and Red.

Hodges and Taylor's "British Military Markings 1939 - 45" illustrates both as "alternative" but gives no further detail. The yellow diabolo is illustrated without background.

Cole shows a black diabolo without background for 25th Army Tank Brigade and states that "A white Maple Leaf was added to the centre of the upper triangle to commemorate this brigade's service with 1st Canadian Infantry Division in Italy"

I'm not sure that the Canadians would be too keen on their maple leaf being described as a "White flowery thing" :lol: