20 cwt trailer

Radek

Hello

I have the trailer top hoops for my Brockhouse - same trailer but hoops are low fitting, they just form a ridge above the trailer really, nice though, made of strong steel, you can have them if you can somehow collect them from the East coast of Ireland!

Don't know if that's any use to you but I wont be using them anymore, I'm restoring and modifying mine without using the hoops. let me know if of any interest to you. I will try look for some old pics of them in the meantime.

Regards

Barra

Aha, i knew mine should have hoops as it has the holders, Richard, could you do me a favour and let me know how high it is from the edge of the trailer to the Apex of the hoop, as i would like to make some up, and get a canvas sorted for my trailer.:thumbsup:

Hello,

Anyone here have any info re servicing the wheels of these trailers... about to start a restoration and I'm sure to find worn seals and bearings in the hubs and so on... a fair dusting of rust on mine now but I'm hopeful it'll clean up sound.

detail4.jpg

brockhouse.jpg

Details of mine:

Power Plant Elec. 2-3.5 kva. 120/240V (generator was removed before I got it)

S/P. 50 C/S. No. 1 Mk. 2. TRAILER 1 TON

6115-99-102-2998 PRV 336

Vechicle No. 95BK27 (reg no)

Chassis No. 9527

U/LCcfG (small badge on both sides)

Assembly number is under thick paint but seems to be FV13056

When I'm starting the work - I'll post in the Blogs of MV restorations, so I can share my experience of restoring this great trailer.

I'll actually be modifying it something like that "Cipher Office Light" so I can use it as a mobile workshop, it fits nicely on my Gaz66 (xCzech army Russian 4x4)

Regards

Barra (Ireland)

Barra

This isn't quite the same but it is of the right era. It is interesting that it is an item of the 1950s yet it has a NSN that was certainly current up to 10 years ago. The UK didn't ratify the STANAG adopting NSNs until 1956 & it wasn't implemented until 1965. This suggests the generating system was of a later era.

I have a lot of stuff on 1-Ton trailers as I have a Cypher Office on one, but give me a bit of time. Is there a specific item you're mainly stuck on?

51BK22.jpg

I have info on variants including: water chiller, water purifying, command post, gas welding, petrol pumping, pole carrying & pigeon loft (!)

This isn't quite the same but it is of the right era. It is interesting that it is an item of the 1950s yet it has a NSN that was certainly current up to 10 years ago. The UK didn't ratify the STANAG adopting NSNs until 1956 & it wasn't implemented until 1965. This suggests the generating system was of a later era.

Clive,

I think you are right here, that NSN was for the trailer modified to carry the two Onan 3.5 Kva gen sets. There were silencers mounted on the outside with heatshields, ex. pipes running through holes in the side. Securing frames and jerrican holders fitted to the floor.....and as already been mentioned, a low canopy frame. A lot of these were towed by Austin K9 radio trucks, when the K9 was finally taken out of service, their bodies were mounted on Bedford RL flats, with a special mounting frame for the Onans as well.

Quote: I have a lot of stuff on 1-Ton trailers as I have a Cypher Office on one, but give me a bit of time. Is there a specific item you're mainly stuck on?

Hi Clive,

Thanks for that! great photo! I can see a concertina rubber cover at the back of the towing hitch which mine doesn't have - certainly I'll get one for it as it will keep that mechanism clean and rust free in future.

I'd be very interested in seeing some pics of your cypher office variant as I'll be modifying mine with an enlarged box enclosure like that. Would be interesting to see how yours is fixed onto the base trailer - what kind of frame structure, so that I might take design features from it for mine, especially where it's extended out alonside the wheel arches.

What I'll be stuck on next, is some info about the wheels and hubs, I'll be opening them soon and I'm sure I'll be faced with replacing seals and maybe worn bearings and other parts, so it would be great to have any specs or diagrams of what's inside and what to look out for, and any pointers as to where I could possibly get replacement seals that fit, otherwise I'll be going to an expensive local outfit to make custom seals - hope not.

I'm going to move the handbrake lever to the side too, so that should be an interesting modification - I find it gets in the way sticking up like that and on tight turns it can snag on the spare wheel mounted to the back of my truck.

When I was younger I'd have been very interested in the pigeon loft variant :) used to keep a few fantails.

Look forward to anything you have for me in future, thanks!

Hi Richard

There are exhaust pipe holes in the sides and also built-in jerry can holders on the inside walls of the trailer, I was confused by the inscription, "Power Plant Elec. 2-3.5 kva." but understand now it means quantity of 2 x 3.5kva generators - all matches your extra description.

My new Aldi generator 2.8kva takes up a lot less room in the trailer :) but I doubt it will stand the test of time... on the first day I used it there was petrol leaking onto the engine from a faulty fuel connection on the tank, they just don't make them like they used to!

Radek (original thread poster)

Hope you don't mind me asking about my trailer here too, I guess we're on the same mission so the information will be of mutual benefit, as I said I'll post a thread in the 'Blog of MV Restorations' when I get going on the restoration, so keep an eye out for that as I'll put lots of photos up which may help you too.

Regards

Barra

Barra, yours is definitely a Sankey rather than a Brockhouse.

6115-99-102-2998 Sankey

6115-99-102-2999 Brockhouse

Asset Code 5955-0790

Servicing Schedule - Army Code No.11031

I have four main parts books for the post-war 1-Ton trailers. This one below is perhaps the clearest & gives NSNs. Just be careful of reading the numbers from the diagram, don't use the first column "Item No." use the sixth column "Plate Ref". That always catches me out!

If you want exploded photos, I can do that but the parts are in VAOS rather than NSNs.

TLRHub01.jpg

TLRHub02.jpg

Hi Adam

Thanks for that info which is really useful to know - Centre of Gravity.

Hi Clive

The diagram is great, I would be most grateful for any more you can share, or if you have the title to the manuals, I may be able to order a copy online with 'vintage manuals outfit'.

Do you think there is anyone who holds old stock of parts that can be ordered using the VAOS or maybe a manufaturer could recognise part of the VAO number matching their files?

It seems all the parts are very well described in the items description table, so I'll be able to measure up any worn parts from that, great stuff!

Thanks

I wouldn't hold out much hope for manufacturer's ability or willingness to cross reference a part number. If you have the NSN of the bit you require, I maybe able to cross reference it to a manufacturer's number or translate it via the FV design spec to the VAOS.

As you may know the VAOS was the vocabulary prefix that was often just attached to the manufacturer's part number. This prefix formed the basis of the DMC (Domestic Management Code) that now precedes the NSN.

The prefix to look for is LV9/BTR or in later times 9/BTR. This indicates it is a component for a post-war 1-Ton trailer & must be bought whenever you see a label like that!

The IPCs to look for are Army/WO Code No:

14461 (Revised 1973) Published 1974

14461 1966

11625 1956

11704 1956

IFV/PD/Ptg805/581/6850 1946

AFAIK, that covers all the 1-Ton post-war Cargo/GS trailers there are of course other IPCs covering certain types eg water tankers etc

The EMERs are covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U 210 - 219 for all 1-ton chassis & the cargo version U 210/1 - 219/1.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've just picked up on this thread, which is a particular area of interest to me, so I thought that I'd join in with like minded folks, although I am in no way as knowledgeable as many forum members.

Like Clive I also have a 1 ton cipher trailer, although the inside is far from complete and mine will one day be my accommodation.

I've a few photos of trailers collected over the years and some might be of interest to others when I work out how to post a photo.

Re the 1 ton trailer with 2 x 3.5kva generators I believe that there were two diferent versons - one with 'older' upright generators that were in the trailer variant with the tall canvas, and a later version with more modern 3.5kva generators (again 2), that only had a canvas slightly above the top of the trailer. I say this as I recall that a year or two ago there was one of the latter for sale on the internet and I think that I kept some photos.

Adrian

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just bought one of these trailers, it is painted red as was last used on an airfield behind their fire engine. They converted it to a standard tow hitch ( which means the brakes are not connected) and they also removed the lights!

I was told by the seller that it was a 3/4 ton trailer and I only saw a picture of it, no measurements. The seller delivered it to my brother who was close so I didn't see it until later, when I realised just how big it is. Maybe a tad too big to tow behind my Landy.

I was also wondering about the weight of it, if it really weights 20cwt unladen then it will be illegal to tow it with the tow hitch fitted.

Gary