20 cwt trailer

Radek

The trailer painted up WW2 style is a Brockhouse 1 Ton 2 WH GS Cargo Trailer, i just bought one to go with my Humber, from Anchor Supplies in nottingham for 170 quid, good bit of kit, very well put together, and they have aluminium wings that dont rust so readily. The wheels are 20 inch rims with 9.00 tyres.

This is the same base that they used to produce the trailer "Cipher Office Light"

I suppose the steel cross pressings to add strength etc look reminiscent of WW2 period gear, although these are made alot better than WW2 items.

10202.jpg

44013.jpg

It is indeed a Brockhouse trailer, my trailer (like the small photo in the above post) was officially modified to carry two 3.5 KVA Onan generators within it, and as far as i can tell was used by the Royal Signals as it has the remains of a blue and white ID insignia on the rear, very similar to that on the WW2 painted trailer.

What Size/Type of Generator is it?

i knew you were going to ask me that .....going to have to go away & find the info 'cos i can't remember .

:-D

As a daft thought, with those Cipher offices been on two wheels, if you didnt put the back supporting legs down before uncoupling the trailer, it could get exciting if it went past the balance point and landed on its arse! :shocked:

Edited by Adam Elsdon

I knew you were going to ask me that .....going to have to go away & find the info 'cos I can't remember .

The genny is a 10kva, there were several variations. I used to repair them, and recall Morrison, Air-Log and Petbow. I am sure this one is a Petbow ( Made in Sandwich, Kent ) as it had those unique covers. Both the Morrison and Petbow, were powered by the 3-152 Perkins diesel, similar to that in the MF35 tractor.

Thank you Richard - I can give up looking for that bit of paper now (and the photo of the makers plate) It's a Morrison -soon as I saw what you'd written I knew that was the one . Single & three phase outlets as I recall but I can't remember how many kva without going and looking at the thing & taking the details again .

Pics of my FV2401. Trailer tows very nice behind the lorry.

100_1245.jpg

100_1268.jpg

100_1271.jpg

Aha, i knew mine should have hoops as it has the holders, Richard, could you do me a favour and let me know how high it is from the edge of the trailer to the Apex of the hoop, as i would like to make some up, and get a canvas sorted for my trailer.:thumbsup:

Aha, i knew mine should have hoops as it has the holders, Richard, could you do me a favour and let me know how high it is from the edge of the trailer to the Apex of the hoop, as i would like to make some up, and get a canvas sorted for my trailer.:thumbsup:

Adam,

I think Ian can answer that for you, but I do think they were used for the version carrying the two Onan gennys, because they were generally in the lowered position with the canvas over when in transit. This leads me to think that in use, the hoops were raised and the canvas being short on the sides, allowed air to get to the gennys.

Adam,

I think Ian can answer that for you, but I do think they were used for the version carrying the two Onan gennys, because they were generally in the lowered position with the canvas over when in transit. This leads me to think that in use, the hoops were raised and the canvas being short on the sides, allowed air to get to the gennys.

So many posts to look at! lost track of who owns what!

The Generators were removed sometime prior to me getting the trailer, however having a raised canvas back would be useful for covert rubbish disposal at the local tip!!! they are used to seeing me with the Pig from time to time, usually a source of interest!!

I have just worked out how high they are by one of the pictures and the aid of a piece of paper, same height as the top edge of trailer to the top of one of the rear stay clips underneath, really high tech stuff this computer lark!!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Adam,

My hoops are in a fixed position and cannot be lowered but you are right it was a genny trailer.

Data plate on the front of the trailer.

000_0044.jpg

That is the wartime Trailer, 1 Ton, 2 Wh., G.S. - see more about it on my website: http://www.geocities.com/cmpvehicles/trailer_1-ton_2wh_gs.html

Hanno

Who manufactured those trailers, was it Brockhouse? there are alot of similarities with the body type, compared to the later trailer, the main been the side ribs and the V shaped stiffener on the rear tailgate.

The rest is wartime cutback type stuff, with the choice of tyres, rims arches and chassis.

trailer_1-ton_2wh_gs_holland.jpg

Qustion.....

My trailer has... Trailer 1 ton cargo 2 whld Sankey FV2401/A. So is this made by sankey and if so why do people refer to them as Brockhouse Trailers

Ian,

I think the 1 ton FV2401 series of trailers were made by Sankey, Brockhouse or Rubery Owen, depending on particular Contract, there were several different body types.