Penthouse Lamp.

Poptopshed

Question

I need a source of light in the back of the 101 and was thinking of mounting a penthouse type lamp on one of the hood sticks. Whats the going rate for these? There are some on ebay but prices seem a bit steep. Also they all seem to be 24v and the 101 is 12v, is the bulb available in a easily sourced 12v type?

Cheers

Jon.

6 answers to this question

You can buy a 12 volt 8 watt fluoresent tubes, but if the penthouse lights are 24 volt i would think it would blow the tube.

The flourescent tubes are all the same, even in a 240volt light. It is the control gear that will be damaged if the wrong voltage is applied.

You can use a 24v penthouse light quite easily in a 12v vehicle, I have one in my Land Rover 90.

What I have done is install a 12v DCCU and 24v Clansman rechargable battery. The penthouse light is then connected to the battery using a remote battery cable fitted with a penthouse light connector.

Very handy as you can run the light on battery power, recharge the battery, or run while charging if you need light when the battery is flat.

Can take a pic of the setup if it is of any help.

Hi Jon,

These are the type of lamps I use in the back of my lorry and give out a very good light so should light the back of the 101 up nicely. Just need to paint the case green.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATON-FLUORESCENT-LIGHT-8W-12Volt-INTERIOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ320305863008QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320305863008&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks for the answers. I happened to end up in helfrauds yesterday and they had some nice led lamps that were rechargable. I will collar our Ring guy next time he is in the shop and see what they can offer. Should be handy for the back of the truck and as a work lamp for breakdowns.