M3 Stuarts - just arrived...!

Jack

• 9 months later...
Other pictures on the official war and peace site show Mr Pearson driving it.

Yes thats right the owner let the "friends of the tank museum" run it for the show it drives ok. It won 1st prize in its class which was a surprize,it was un -painted the owner is over the moon, we also looked after rex cadmans sherman BARV , A D-Day D8 cat, johns valintine and the stuat a great week

Big Al

Other pictures on the official war and peace site show Mr Pearson driving it.

Mr Pearson? That was my grandad! My dad was Major Pearson but I am John!!!

It was great to drive but the M3A1 has a turret ring where there is no real room for one so it is very crampted to sit in. Turret has triangular hatches and I do not have a triangular ass!

Mr Pearson? That was my grandad! My dad was Major Pearson but I am John!!!

It was great to drive but the M3A1 has a turret ring where there is no real room for one so it is very crampted to sit in. Turret has triangular hatches and I do not have a triangular ass!

Yep I can confirm that, John had to change gear using his left hand, the gear change is on the right! the hatchs were not easy to fit into.

Big Al

They sounded terrible every time they were in the arena.. coughing, spluttering & back-firing..

To be fair Lee - the one driven/manned by the Bovvy crew didn't sound that bad...

The other one, conversely, brought by the retailer sounded like it was about to die at times. Literally. And, seemingly, had trouble manouevering at low speeds.

The other one, conversely, brought by the retailer sounded like it was about to die at times. Literally. And, seemingly, had trouble manouevering at low speeds.

Another first class bit of maintenance then eh?

Sounds like you had fun, hope we get to see more of the Stuart down at the friends weekends.

John, hows the valentine, didn't see it in the shed's (all fixed, or am I blind?)

Yes Valentine is fixed. We went down the weekend of 18/19 July and fixed it. It was to a deadline: Rex was sending a low loader to pick it up on the Sunday morning 19th at 11 am so it had to end up repaired or else. (I do not have my own transport and have to beg favours or do it commercially).

Ran great in the Beltring arena but had to keep speed down (!!!) as engine/gearbox clutch now slips if provoked and replacing that is a major job for next winter. Everyone of the Tank Museum Friends who could get in had a drive of it. I think they enjoyed it, well they did not complain anyway!

Yes Valentine is fixed. We went down the weekend of 18/19 July and fixed it. It was to a deadline: Rex was sending a low loader to pick it up on the Sunday morning 19th at 11 am so it had to end up repaired or else. (I do not have my own transport and have to beg favours or do it commercially).

Ran great in the Beltring arena but had to keep speed down (!!!) as engine/gearbox clutch now slips if provoked and replacing that is a major job for next winter. Everyone of the Tank Museum Friends who could get in had a drive of it. I think they enjoyed it, well they did not complain anyway!

Yep no complents had a great week! Thanks John

Alec

John,

It is probably common knowledge, but what is the story behind your Valentine? I had a good look around it at W&P, talk about a rare vehicle, does the screen operate as intended or is it 'for show'.

Sadly I wasn't lucky enough to hear her running.

Thanks

John,

It is probably common knowledge, but what is the story behind your Valentine? I had a good look around it at W&P, talk about a rare vehicle, does the screen operate as intended or is it 'for show'.

Thanks

I am sure John will give you the full story about his Valentine it is rare the only one left working DD Valentine the screen is fully working and operational at the moment we need a compressure to inflate it. I spend most weekends with john working on the valentine and the rest of his fleet of MVs, I am sure john will give you a more details soon.

Big Al

John,

Thanks

Pity you did not hear it running, it sounds like heaven! It has a supercharged two stroke straight six diesel engine with a light flywheel so it sounds like a free revving V12.

Briefly, I bought it as a wreck in 1984 after it had been cut down to make it into a bulldozer in the late 1940's. Took 20 years until it was fit to display, first appearance at Studland Bay 2004. Still working on it, not sure if it will ever be finished. If you Google 'Valentine DD' you will find several references to it. There is quite an article with some pictures on Dougs Heavy Metal site (or some such name) in Australia and Mark Ansells site has some good pictures of the Studland event. Any colour photos of a Valentine DD are mine - no wartime colour pictures were taken of a Valentine DD, so far as I know.

Any specific questions? (Beware - I can bore for England on the subject!!)