How Do You Get Tyres "Back to Black"?

N.O.S.

Question

14 answers to this question

I'm going to regret admitting that I know how to clean a vehicle but there are a few tyre cleaners you can buy that work quite well. I used some, well, alright, I asked if I could use someone elses cleaner, of the foaming type. It worked brilliantly but did leave a bit of a bling finish. Very effective if the tyres are in good nick.

I've used degreaser before, something like Flash floor cleaner powder liberally mixed in warm water and sprayed on using a cleaned out glass cleaner hand spray bottle. You can see the crud washing away. Left a really matt finish that didn't look as good as I'd hoped (especially if there are cracks and marks in the walls) but boy was it clean. I think the propriety cleaner showroom finish looks better than completely matt, regardless of tyre condition. I've just done some in preparation for Selkirk Rally and tried the degreaser first on some 9x16 bargrips before deciding on a bling finish. H&S nannies need to wear gloves at that degreaser concentration and be mindful of the mist and breathing it in, not nice. Also, a hosepipe or pressure washer to rinse tyres and surrounding area down as you go.

That neatly leads into another subject, how clean do you really want your patio or driveway once you pressure wash graffitti of xxx and xxxxxxx into the concrete.

Edited by Mark

Some interesting ideas, thanks. But the tyre paint, Chris - what happens when it eventually peels/cracks off? Or does it? And how satin is it? I've seen some really glossy painted tyres....

Tyre paint is basically rubber, so it won't peel or flake. It will be slightly shiny when you first apply it, but it will matt down quickly. I've used it on all my tyres and it makes them look new again, also covers up any overspray etc.

See photo of the Fox tyres a few weeks after painting them.

Chris

IMG_0732.JPG

Edited by sirhc

You could always do what Professional Chauffeurs use - Black shoe polish. You can get it in large tins and brings rubber up a treat. Use it on rubber mud flaps aswell. Cheaper than tyre black and leaves a better finish.

Tyre Foam made by Armorall ? It comes in a big orange and black can and is sold in Halfords. One can cleans up 6-1400x20 bar treads with some to spare. I wiped the loose crud off the tyres first and then sprayed it on. Tread as well. Shake the can well. I did the ones on the Hippo and they look the dogs! I did both sides on the front. Nothing looks worse than front tyres that are clean on the outside and light grey on the inside. It contains a rubber preservative to protect the rubber from ultra violet rays if the sun ever appears and stops mould growth if it doesn't. I have used tyre paint and have a 5 gallon can of it but it does give the tyres a bit of an Arthur Dayley car lot look. I know I did the tyres on my Dodge and it looked like 'Pimp my Dodge' when it dried. The wheels looked like plastic and the brush marks were an embarassment.

A word of caution guys, be extremely careful if using a pressure washer (either hot or cold) to get the worst grime off, as it can weaken the structure of the tyre walls. This is particularly important for those tyres known to have issues with sidewall cracking/perishing, as an example I have major problems with Goodyear 7.50 x 16 Xtra Grips.

Tragically, I have to admit to liking my Landy being all clean and shiny (in fact I take a lot more care of the Landy than I do my everyday car), and tyres come into this. I use weak soapy water and a brush to get any dirt off, followed by a fresh water rinse, and once this has dried apply a coat of tyre dressing, or preferably tyre foam as mentioned by Phil P. I like the 'sparkly' look personally, but if you dont, just carry out this process a week or two before the event you want to attend, just to allow any sheen to die down.