In Rememberance of Mr Peter Base

Chappers

The military vehicle /reenactment community has lost another class member,although not on the forum Pete was a big player in every thing our group was about. He had just got the all clear from Cancer and was looking forward to enjoying this hobby which he'd been involved in since the mid 90's when he had a heart attack,over the next couple of weeks he grew weaker in the QE hospital and passed away on Tuesday evening after suffering another heart attack.

Pete came on the Dakota flight with us organised by Peter Eakers and Jim Clarke,for him it was one of the highlights of his life, being involved in 101st Airborne reenactment along with myself and the rest of the group.

We spent many a weekend repairing rebuilding his and my military vehicles,he was always there in the thick of it.

My heart felt condolences go out to his family and friends

He will be Sadly missed.

R.I.P Buddy

A tribute to Pete can be seen here

Edited by Chappers

The Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT has lost a true friend and gentleman. Peter ,or 'Little Pete' as most of us knew him, never failed to greet folks with a big smile and a hand shake.

An active member of the BWMA MVT and re enactment groups we are all the poorer for his passing.

All those I have contacted have been shocked and saddened by the news. One reply was common to all. 'How very very sad, he was such a lovely bloke.' That perfectly describes Peter.

Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

It was an honour to have known you Pete and call you a friend.

Phil Palmer

Chairman, Birmingham & West Midlands Area Military Vehicle Trust on behalf of all the areas members.

Please view the link to photo's posted by Steve Chaplin. Thank's Steve.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I defy anyone to see it with a dry eye. .

I lasted six minutes,Having fought thro all that and then heart problems,there is no justice.I survived two heart attacks and triple by pass and know he would of been filling everyday,he looked as if he was making the most of life.Wake up calls do that to you.My symphathys to his familly and friends.for him the pain is over,for them it just begins:cry:

I met Pete on the C-47 flight and he was everything you see in the YouTube video. Steve putting that together must of been one of the hardest things you have ever done. A wonderful thank you to your friend.

He is now with his ancestors and that too is a nice place to be.

I wish you well.

Jack.

Steve putting that together must of been one of the hardest things you have ever done. A wonderful thank you to your friend.

Jack.

Your right Jack that was one of the hardest things I've ever done,but felt it was right to express Pete's life in a way people could see what kind of an outstanding human being he was. His love for WWII Re-enacting his 1944 Ford Jeep and Dodge WC52 were a massive part of his life. He also had a passion for Music and would often entertain us with a guitar or on the Piano if he found one at a venue. Whilst working in our MV yard yesterday where Pete spent most of his spare time of a weekend ,there was a feeling of him being around ,and It was felt by everyone who came around .He'd certainly had a chat with the boss upstairs and sorted the weather out for us.

Sue as asked me to help give Pete a final tribute by helping arrange a WWII type themed funeral. There was mention of possibly a last ride to the Church in the GMC. There will also be a large procession of WWII Vehicles and friends in 1940's dress.

The funeral is provisionally booked for a week today if anyone who knew Pete would like to attend.

Finally can I thank everyone on the forum for the kind words and messages of condolence,which I'll pass onto his wife Sue and family.

RIP Buddy

Regards

Steve

The Funeral for Pete Base will take place on Monday 29th September at 12-15 pm St Bedes Church Kings Heath. The vehicle convoy leaving Pete's home at 12-00 noon.

From St Bedes Church the Convoy of 7 WW2 vehicles and reenactors will travel to Lodge Hill Crematorium for 2-00pm. The convoy will be lead by a Military Police marked jeep. Military uniforms would be nice but wear civilian if you prefer. This is just to show a really great guy our 100% respect.

The thoughts of everyone in this MVT area are with Sue and family at this sad time.

May I offer a big thank you to all those who have posted and their kind words and to Steve (Chappers) Chaplin you deserve the highest praise for your efforts.

Phil Palmer

Chairman, Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT.

Reenactors and MVT members turned out in force to Pete's funeral and 'Did the lad proud.' 4 Jimmies, 3 Dodges and 5 Jeeps followed the hearse plus many many reenactors in uniform The Church was packed with folks standing in the isles. Several tributes to Peter were made lead by Steve Chaplin and one of Peter's daughters. We laughed at the story of Pete's fencing exploites. He demolished a whole length of a neibours fence. He was later presented with the metal makers name plates made up into dog tags on a chain. Tears came to our eyes when his daughter said, "My Dad made my heart sparkle." The convoy then made the 6 miles to Lodge Hill Crematorium for the final service and tributes. The crematorium was full with even more people arriving. A fantastic tribute to a fantastic guy. We are much poorer for loosing him and so much richer for knowing him. Rest in peace good buddy.

Phil.