Defence Police School Open Day (HANTS)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, photo elements:

WRAC Provost,

uniform looks vaguely tropical so call it either Singapore or Hong Kong,

Note the black and white grainy photo standard, and the posed nature of the shot,

Add the black armband and SD Caps...

Dates it post 1950s and pre 1968 (uniform changes all round). Oh, and I think I've seen that photo before... I'll do some digging...

CW,

Brave bloke doing that on an M20 :-D

The radar trailer is one captured in Iraq, if I am not mistaken, and the photo of it monitering low flying aircraft complaints, shows its "CV" army reg number (Captured Vehicle).

The Norton Rotary was a good machine, I had the pleasure of overhauling a batch of engines, every one had to be fitted to a bike for road testing......thats when work becomes enjoyable :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Who made the trailer didnt realise it was captured,

didnt the Rotor tips cause problems on the Nortons.

Who made the trailer didnt realise it was captured,

didnt the Rotor tips cause problems on the Nortons.

I would guess the trailer originated from Russia.

I understand rotor tips were a problem with some manufacturers of rotary engines and it seems strange, the Nortons who were working on a shoestring budget at the time, seem to have found reliability, their racing success at the time proved this, but there was a dispute as to how the capacity should be measure, if I remember correctly. It is known as a 588cc, other racing teams thought it was double that capacity. On the ones I stripped, there was no real problems, the working clearances are so much tighter than piston engines, a very interesting design, and of course smooth.

Russian i never noticed i must get a pair of those glasses.

i heard wankle one used a hard wood for the tips seems unlikely but who knows.

I got to wondering what might be under here,all the joints were made in pitch ,so obviously needs to be kept dry.

Forgot to answer this one CW. I think those slabs cover the steam pipes for heating, there would be a boiler house somewhere nearby. A lot of military sites were laid out like this.

Forgot to answer this one CW. I think those slabs cover the steam pipes for heating, there would be a boiler house somewhere nearby. A lot of military sites were laid out like this.

Thats Boring Richard :-D thought it might of been ww2 shelters or the like.