Civilian GMC at GDSF

Deuceman

Did anyone else set eyes on this tidy looking civi GMC at the GDSF?

Nice to see it as I know that many of the GMC's that stayed in the UK post war ended up on lime spreading duties and I think that probably did for many of them.

If anyone knows of the vehicle I'd be interested to know if it is a retro fit restoration or an original post war lime spreader that has been restored? As it was painted up in the colours of a Blandford Company I presume it was probably local?

IMG_7707 2.jpg

If you can find it Deuceman, there was a thread featuring post war jimmy uses, I put up a catalogue picture from the manufacturer of the spreader - Kenwall of South Wales.

It would not surprise me if this truck still spreads for a living - I too would appreciate any info. There certainly was another in Wiltshire which was in use very recently (again, I think someone posted a pic of this somewhere). I'm certain this would be a post war conversion as opposed to a recent builds restoration.

I went looking for one which was ofered to me in Norfolk 20 years ago (to use!!!) - apparently it went to the Bristol area and was supposed to have been turned back to wartime spec. Jeepers it was bad - chassis cracked and patched up everywhere, not to mention corrsion from spreading salt fertiliser.

Immediately post war a GMC chassis cab with zero miles and frosted block could be had for £150. Not surprising they were popular for lime spreading. I had an old Kenwall body (finally used as a gravel feed hopper) until 2 years ago, had thoughts of making one up but that's as far as it went.

Some operators put Chev diffs in (faster and stronger) - weak points were clutch, gearbox/transfer box prop and rear bogie trunion bar.

Oh dear, you're yawning already....

Neil I know this truck. It has quite a history and was based at Shillingstone, - not far from me. It worked out of the lime kilns and was given to Youngs on the condition that it was left as a lime spreader as it had always been.

Neil I know this truck. It has quite a history and was based at Shillingstone, - not far from me. It worked out of the lime kilns and was given to Youngs on the condition that it was left as a lime spreader as it had always been.

Jack - ITIR that Shillingstone quarry was sold about 6 years ago, the new owners inherited several ex MVs in the quarry including one or more Bedford QL spreaders. Ring any bells?

Jack - ITIR that Shillingstone quarry was sold about 6 years ago, the new owners inherited several ex MVs in the quarry including one or more Bedford QL spreaders. Ring any bells?

Spot on Tony and the GMC came from there. I bought a load of billhooks once from an auction and in the botom of box was sign from Shillingstone quary that most of been pre war - I had it framed and gave it to my father for Christmas as the folks lived at Shillingstone.

I seem to remember that the GMC was hut away in a narn and left until it was given to the Youngs - a fine move in my view. Tony - the Youngs are very nice people and I can make the introduction if you so wish.

Suppose so, a lot of firms now use 'Agricultural' tractors to tow machinery low loaders about, gets round the HGV rules.

This has been tightened up on,strictly speaking you need an operators licence, run on white diesel etc. etc.it also brings you into C&U Regs. A lot of people have been stopped, rather than prosecutions they had visits to their premises and the gypsys warning. We have looked into this very closely.

• 15 years later...
On 9/12/2008 at 9:15 PM, Degsy said:

And totally useless off road,unlike all previous Bedfords.

Disagree with your comment Degsy, the QL, RL, and the M-type Bedfords were very much up to the job back in the day. Mind not much competition around at the time apart from the odd Thames trader with a Boughton 4-wheel drive conversion.