POA/

tyler

Hi, while I was looking though the classifieds in CMV/MMI over the last few months Ive noticed more and more Ads are stating POA or just no price at all, now personally this annoys me as: A, why not just tell prespective buyers the price, and B, if you do phone you find out the price anyway, In the classic car mags they hardly do it at all so why in Military mags, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

Thanks.

Tyler.

Hi Tyler,

I've noticed that too,there are even those who will put POA and no timewasters! in the past I've called about a vehicle or part that is being advertised with POA and it's obvious that the seller is trying to hold some kind of an auction.

Even more annoying are the sellers who are timewasters,a few years ago I was an MVT member and on receiving the Greensheet there was an ad for a WW2 US Ben Hur trailer with PE-95 generator,I called the seller and we agreed a price and made arrangements to collect it the following weekend,on the Friday before I was due to pick it up I called to confirm what time I'd get there and was told "sorry mate it's sold" and the guy hung up!. that's one of the reasons I didn't renew my MVT membership.

Matt.

Hello Tyler and Matt

I placed an ad last night on Milweb for the ZIL ( as of 10.45am today it's not on yet) and I put POA. The reason I did this is in the past when I've put the price the only response I've had has been from people in "BongoBongo land" offering more than the asking price , (you all know the scam!) or people offering £200 less than the asking price. It doesn't matter what price I put on it, it's always £200 less! :x

I don't know, maybe I'll get just as many scammer's as before, I'll have to see.

As for Matt's experience of someone selling an item after a sale was agreed that is very bad, but I've had people agree to by something, I've then turned away other interested parties only never to hear from the buyer ever again. From now on the item is for sale until it's paid for in full and collected. A bit hard and I know that if the item is along way away it takes time to arrange viewing/collecting but being in business ( not MV's) we've had too many people say they're coming, even ring up and say they're on the way, and then they don't turn up! :x

I've seen lots of stuff "re-advertised due to time waster" and after going to see lot's of perspective purchase's I've often thought about putting an advert "still looking due to timewaster" but you know, learn by your mistakes and so on.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

I see your point on using POA on milweb but you'll probably get just as many as they just trawl sites like milweb for email address's. now for placing milweb ads I've set up a free yahoo email address so I can just go through them and pick out any genuine enquries.

As to the not sold untill paid for view I have found that it's not always that simple when dealing with MV's as it takes time to arrange transport etc. for instance if I called you and said I'll take the ZIL but can't collect it till this weekend and I'll pay cash on collection,to my mind it is then sold,especially as I'd be paying someone to move it for me and they might turn down other work in order to carry out the job.in a situation like that if the seller then said he'd sold a vehicle after I'd said I would take it I would not be happy :evil:

I think the guy with the Ben Hur genny was offered more by another caller.

Matt.

Purely as a personal view - no offense intended to anyone here - I will not contact any ad that either has no price or says POA. I've done this a few times in the past hunting down spares for two-stroke Saab's and 100% of the time the seller has had no real idea of what he's got condition-wise but because it's for a 1950's/60's vehicle thinks its worth 2 or 3 times the market value. Once went to look at a Sport engine block (direct oil injection rather than mixed in the tank) and it was cracked down the oil feed line and a chunk of cylinder web was missing. Seller had advertised it it as "Reconditioned to As new condition - POA" I leave my parting comments to your imaginations......

Hi all, I also think that most of the time the price can tell you alot about the condition of the MV, one of ArtistsRifles coments "I will not contact any ad that either has no price or says POA" made me realise that I also havent contacted a seller who puts no price or POA, I think I just subconsiously ignor them,

Also as to Richard comment "I placed an ad last night on Milweb for the ZIL ( as of 10.45am today it's not on yet)" (its on the site by the way) Milweb seem to spell things differently for example I check all the spelling before I submit the Ad, and then when the Ad is put on the site is isn't spelt correctly,

also I advertised some "Shorland spares" (that was the title) and when the Ad was put on the site and in the mag the title now says "Ferret and Shorland spares" now why Ithey did that I dont know, also not only was it wrong it ment people were phoning for Ferret spares I didn't have and wasting their too.

The topic so far has bought up some interesting veiws.

Thanks.

Tyler.

We've waited a couple of months for people to come & collect stuff but will always take a non refundable deposit.

The best was a chap who bought an old 12 x 12 tent, we carted it round to a couple of shows where he had arranged for it to be collected only to find he hadn't actually asked his mate but thought as he was there he could pick it up for him, then he'd phone to say someone was coming down the next day so we'd drag this thing back out the shed through the house & leave it under the truck. it would still be there when we got home, so it was dragged back through the house & back up the garden into the shed. this went on for a while then things went quiet ( he was poorly which couldn't be helped). Almost 2 years later it finally got collected by a young chap who got lost & ended up in the next village having a cup of tea while a chap went on multimap to get directions for him.(very trusting in this area)

sorry if someone recognises this story but it was legendary at the time.

I always think something is going to be far too expensive if it has POA so i never bother to ring.

I don't think many of us go into this to be timewasters but everyone is after something different & everyones idea of restorable is different. A1 condition is fine but A1 for what, the show room or the field. we all look with our own particular 'eye' & you may turn your nose up at something but the next person could be doing cartwheels as it is just what he is looking for. Nothing is standard iin this hobby & all possibilities have to be explored.

cheers

berni

Hello,

Ah well, the POA plan didn't work! Must have been less than 45 minutes before the first "I am interested in your kar" email came :x

Matt, if I was looking to buy something I would never tell someone over the phone, without viewing it, that I would buy it and collect on a set date. Nor, if I was selling something would I take off sale until the money was in my pocket. I have just had too many people who "are definitely coming and please don't sell it until I get there", who never turn up!

Whenever I go to view a vehicle I always take a sizeable cash deposit. If the vehicle is what I want, I pay the deposit and then arrange for collection, ideally within a few days. If I don't want the vehicle I say "it's not what I'm looking for and thank you for your time".

Being self-employed and working 6 days a week it often takes a while for me to go and view a vehicle, when this is the case I explain this to the seller and say if it sells in the mean time all well and good. I've never told anyone not to sell a vehicle before I've seen it.

The points about the seller's descriptions is also very valid. I've been to look at vehicle's which are said to be fully restored and on the button. And when you get there they're rotten old things that need a full restoration. To my mind a full restoration is nothing sort than a full strip down of every component before being rebuilt with new bearings, seals etc. and a full quality respray. I describe my ZIL as been refurbished i.e. components that are faulty are repaired and those that are good are serviced and left alone.

If you look up Restore and Refurbish in a dictionary you'll see what I mean.

I strongly believe that a vehicle can not be restored with just a tin of paint!

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately these scammers seem to have become a fact of life when it comes to selling anything over the net.

In regard to buying vehicles I have bought three WW2 Dodges over the phone/internet after the sellers emailed me pictures and never had any problems. one of those Dodge's has since been sold and the buyer was happy to send me cash payment after I sent him several photos.

You are right about the folks who say they will have something and then don't turn up but I'm not going to let that change the way I buy or sell as there are always going to be rotten apples but as I say when buying if I say I'll take something that means I'll take it.

As for sellers who discribe a vehicle as restored when it's not,don't get me started!

Matt.

• 1 month later...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :x

Another one today. He phoned up earlier this week about the ZIL. He'd .."been looking for one for ages, seen the picture's on my website, definitely wants to buy it, will becoming over the weekend to look at it, please don't sell it until I get there!"

Right, no problem, I even give it a wash, and I've got a cold, I could catch pneumonia!!!

And what happens....nothing!! I wait about all weekend and again another no show!! Why do they do it?! :twisted:

:twisted: :evil: :x :twisted: :evil:

:wink: Richard

cough,cough,cough,sneze,cough,

Hello All,

I currently have a stripped ex-mod Honda XR250 on Milweb. (with a price)

I have had a couple of enquiries for it. One has been going on for about a month and he says he wants it but can't get round to collecting it. I have since contacted him and said unless he gives a date to collect I will sell to whoever gets here first.

I have also had the ones who have said they want it without even seeing it and will get their importer to arrange shipping. If only I send them my bank details!!!!!

Then there was the one this weekend who sounded perfect. He as a similar bike that he has written off and needs a frame. Ideal. I sent him pictures and we arranged for him to come and see it, only he didn't want it because it was to much work to change the frames. Surely he had an idea of the work involved to change frames.

As for Milweb, the ads take a day or so as they seem vet them first. At least they are free if you don't have a pic.

Dougy

I buy from around the world and sell mainly with the UK but some bits and pieces to Europe. Now when you are selling there are many 'warning' signals that you pick up from people and the signs of an insincere enquiry are usually staring you in the face. The best signs to look for are what your gut instincts are telling you, learn to listen to your inner self you will usually find that it is screaming at you the answer but you aren't listening.

Like you guys, when I am buying, I won't even bother to call anyone who has POA. The alarm bells are ringing when I see that but again there are always exceptions to the rule. POA to me is telling me several things, 1. They don't know the worth or price of the item. 2. The are asking to much. 3.** They are completely unprofessional in their sales approach, can't be bothered and just want your money. 4. They haven't the confidence within their market place to state a price = if they haven't the confidence in their price then they haven't got the confidence their product, do you really want to be from them?

**I can guarantee you what sort of character this would be. Massive ego, believe their own hype, ill mannered, never smile through a transaction, think they are doing you a fever, etc etc, you have been there, right?!

If you look at how I bought my GMC, my first CMV...ever, ever! The advert was very simple and the stated price was £2700. I called and with my negotiation hat on naturally went for a lower price. No go, that is the price and I am sorry that I can't move. That doesn't happen to me very often! :twisted: I paid the money without even seeing it.

In this example, the vendor had the confidence in his product and knew that the money he was asking for, a great product for the right price, the way it should be. I bought the truck on gut instinct and on the fact that the vendor installed confidence in me by saying no to my price reduction.....strange how life works!

Best wishes.

Jack.

Well...I have to say I have had more genuine enquiries for the ZIL advertised on MILWEB with the price on application than I have when I've advertised it with a price.

In the month it's been on there I have had 7 enquires. The first one was a scammer, another was someone who'd got completely the wrong vehicle( :? ), someone else decided he wasn't "spiritually" ready to own a ZIL and of the 4 others, 2 are possible.

When I've advertised it with a price I've had between 20-25 enquires, BUT 98% of these have been scams with interested party offering a bankers draft for £1000 more than the asking price. Of the remaining 5%, these have been prats with nothing better to do than wasting time by offering a very low amount!

I honestly don't know whether to re-advertise it on MILWEB, that's if I re-advertise it at all!

Plans are forming to put it into U.N. livery. 8)

Regards

Richard

Ps. mentioning spiritually, well spirits really, Do you belive in Ghosts?

This may convince you.

Apparently this video was meant to be a car ad but was never aired when it was discovered that this location had been the scene of a fatal accident.

Watch the front of the car as it pulls out of the bend. A faint mist can be seen and if you turn the sound up, the cameraman's comments can just be heard.

http://www.motherhensplaypen.com/GhostlyCarAd.wmv