Jeeps & Jets - N.E. Aircraft Museum

Some of the other vehicles...

neam20.jpg

neam27.jpg

Saturday's weather was pretty good, but Sunday had a couple of heavy showers which added to the already waterlogged ground. One re-enactor was spotted bailing out his display with what appeared to be a potty!

neam21.jpg

On Saturday night, there was a 1940's pub quiz, and our team, the 'Century Bombers' came third in a tie break after three teams all had the same final score. Most teams had a bit of a gripe after the picture round where the quiz master was convinced the Short Stirling was a Halifax because his book said it was! but a good night was had by all, especially Bodge on doubles all night!

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Part of the jets in 'Jeeps & Jets' was the Museums Avro Vulcan B2 XL319 and a Goblin jet engine which performed several run ups.

neam3.jpg

neam15.jpg

More pics later...

I seen the Vulcan when it flew into Usworth Airfield (or Sunderland Airport, depends who you talk to!) when i was a kid, one heck of a piece of flying, as it was quite a short runway, Nissan now have a factory where the airfield was, last time i was up in those parts i noticed the main hangar which was WW2 era had gone:cry:, originally Nissan fixed it up due to the fact it was reasonably rare so i dont know what happened to it after that.

I could only have been about 7 when a friend invited me to come with his family to the RAF Usworth open day. It was great for a lad of seven, loads of git big aeroplanes. The only one I can remember was a DC-3, in which you could get a half-hour's flight for about ten shillings (50p - a king's ransom pre-the rampant inflation and devaluation in the 60s that Harold Wilson said on TV would not affect the Pound in our pockets. I knew he was lying. Here was a politician and his lips were moving. Sorry - must get off politics).

ISTR 607 Squadron were stationed there in the first part of the war (I remember the Sunderland Echo carrying a serialisation of a history of the squadron) but they moved to Ouston west of Newcastle because from Usworth they couldn't get high enough to effect an intercept in time, and the forward location reduced the effectiveness of the interceptions because there was no flexibility up and down the coast as to where to effect an interception.

If I said ISTR the pub outside the airfield's gates (which must have been popular with fighter pilots) was the Three Tuns, would I get a star?