Another one to Identify

madrat

Hi Guys,

The scrap yard where I bought my pioneer from had a couple of tracked MV's that I had a quick look around. Its been bugging me as to what they are!

I didn't take very good pictures I'm afraid, but then I know you guys like a challenge! :cool2:

I'd like to know what it is, what its worth and whether its rare or not! I could only get into one of them but I was fascinated by all the kit inside it!

Tracked3.jpg

Tracked.jpg

Tracked2.jpg

The near vehicle is an FV432 Mk 1, the far vehicle is a Tracked Rapier. The internal shots are from the Rapier. They're worth about £10,000 in nice condition. The problem is they are based on the M113 (actually M548, but same running gear) so getting hold of bits in the UK is a bit of a challenge.

Anthing else interesting up there?

Chris

tracked_rapier_1_live_firin.jpg

OK, it's an AFV of some form, and it's tracked. It looks the same or similar size to an tracked APC, so I'll make an assumption of it being the last generation of battle taxi, and that makes it an FV432. I'm not 100% sure, as the roof of the track appears to be missing a key part, but it looks extraordinarily like an FV432 Cymberline Mortar-detecting Radar anti-artillery-artillery control vehicle. Mouthful, that, innit :evil:

Key component missing from the roof is, of course, the radar unit.

Possible tell-tales inside the vehicle: Radar direction console (circular display showing direction by means of illuminating lights).

If I'm right about this being the FV432 Cymberline Radar vehicle, more info may well be had from the Firepower Museum at Woolwich.

Hope the above helps :)

The 432 is a Mk 1, so unlikely it would have been converted to a radar carrier as they were withdrawn from service a long time ago. Infact it looks like it might have the Peak Engineering turret on the top.

Chris

Thanks! I should have taken more pictures when I was there but I was a little distracted. There wasn't anything else tracked in there, and they know what things are worth, so no bargains to be had :cry: There is another Pioneer, a few Saracens and two Commers? There are also two stolly hulls in a very sad way :-(

I agree that the near vehicle is a 432, although covered up it looked like one to me! The rapier was the only one I could get into, the interior is just outstanding!

Are these rapier vehicles rare? And what would it need to have with it in order to be worth restoring? I'd hate to see such a thing get scrapped :argh:

I've been trying to find out a bit more on the M113 but not having much luck, any info appreciated!

More pics of the same interior:

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

There are a number of Tracked Rapiers around, Dave P on this form has (had?) one which was for sale, and was a good runner. There were some at Jacksons, but they have since been cut up. I agree it does look pretty complete inside, more so than some of the others I've looked in. It's definitley worth saving, but I guess it depends on price!

There is a guy quite local to me who has one he bought fairly recently, I don't have any contact details for him, but he seems to be enjoying it.

Chris

I saw the armoured stuff whilst up there looking at the pioneer as well.

That rapier looks in outstanding condition internally. Only saw the outside myself which is nowhere near as tidy but certainly not hard to restore. If I'd known how good it was internally I may have been more interested, but really wanted something WWII.

Yes the others are 432's.

I seem to recall a couple of Saracens in there as well in reasonable restorable condition.

I saw the armoured stuff whilst up there looking at the pioneer as well.

That rapier looks in outstanding condition internally. Only saw the outside myself which is nowhere near as tidy but certainly not hard to restore. If I'd known how good it was internally I may have been more interested, but really wanted something WWII.

Yes the others are 432's.

I seem to recall a couple of Saracens in there as well in reasonable restorable condition.

I was staggered by how clean it was inside, it came direct from MOD and was covered up by a heavy canvas. You are right about the exterior being an easy restoration. I think it had 621 or 62.1 miles on the clock!

The Saracens were indeed good projects although possibly a bit over-priced? And everything plus dreaded VAT :argh:

Thanks Chris,

I've found a bit more info on them, I think it should have a Detroit diesel engine? What would you suggest would be a fair price for it (Assuming that it started and stopped)?

Difficult to say what it's worth, do you know the asking price?

Chris

Tracked Rapier:shake::shake::shake: Been there,done that,would,nt have another.:nono:

At the same time it,s certainly worth saving as is the 432.

Price would depend on how complete it is and if it,s a good runner,some seem to be 'de-activated/robbed' more than others.:cry:

They are absolute b******* to work on:argh:

Are you looking to make him an offer.

Terry Brookes had a couple of them I believe.

DaveP

Difficult to say what it's worth, do you know the asking price?

I think it was around £4k although it hasn't run in 10 years I believe.

Tracked Rapier:shake::shake::shake: Been there,done that,would,nt have another.:nono:

I'm interested to know the reasons why you wouldn't have another? Is is just difficult maintenance and hard to source parts?

Are you looking to make him an offer.

Terry Brookes had a couple of them I believe.

If it was going to be a good investment then I might consider it, Terry Brooke's is at the other end of the country unfortunately otherwise I would probably go and have a look at his ones!

I'm not that bothered about the rapier, just with such a low millage and being so clean inside I thought it might be a good investment/project :cool2:

I think it was around £4k although it hasn't run in 10 years I believe.

I'm interested to know the reasons why you wouldn't have another? Is is just difficult maintenance and hard to source parts?

If it was going to be a good investment then I might consider it, Terry Brooke's is at the other end of the country unfortunately otherwise I would probably go and have a look at his ones!

I'm not that bothered about the rapier, just with such a low millage and being so clean inside I thought it might be a good investment/project :cool2:

Difficult everything:argh: but hours of fun playing with knobs and switches.

Like I said before,it would be interesting to see how complete it is and whether it runs and drives.If it does it must be worth the money,if it does not it may cost you.The detroit motor itself and the allison transmission are pretty robust bits of kit, it,s just getting at them:rofl:

Is it pos to get a good look around it,if I can help in any way give me a shout

daveP

Ok if you like hanging out the door while driving so you can see where you are going :nono:

There are 2 types of drivers screens for the Rapier, one large window for travelling, and one with 3 smaller windows for combat. Either way everyone seems to drive them with the door open!

Chris

Is it pos to get a good look around it,if I can help in any way give me a shout

daveP

Yup, should be possible to have a good look and probably not a problem to put a battery on and try to start the beast. Thanks for the offer of help!

Forgot to ask,where roughly in the world are these vehicles

They are near Newcastle-Upon-Tyne-Shire. I'll be back there in the next month and will take better pictures of the vehicles in the yard.