Raf bedford

T corbin

• 1 month later...

Nice looking lorry. Not far off being a civvy model, I suspect. I really like these RAF vehicles. It would be nice to see more of them in this guise..but I presume the majority of survivors find their way to the classic commercial end of the motor pool to become something more colourful.

Your right there Richard but its the first photo i have seen with those type of wheels and larger tyres, the photos i have show them with 7.00-20 tyres as attached

Do you know when that photo was taken? It looks like it might be RAF blue grey. and that may relate to another discussion currntly going on in another thred.

Do you know when that photo was taken? It looks like it might be RAF blue grey. and that may relate to another discussion currntly going on in another thred.

I would dispute the date, as far as I can recall, the last time a daylight liveried defiant was operational was in 1940/41, after that, they were used in nightfighter roles, and target tugs, so the livery of the bedford might relate to the an earler period?

Mark

Mark I too would dispute the date but with caution. 31 Defiants were allocated to 277 sqn in April 1942 for Air Sea Rescue spotting duties, A picture in Aeroplane shows such an example with 277 and its in daylight camo.

However I am about to put 2 and 2 together and make 6.

RAF Old Sarum was in Army Co operation Command, it was a major trials unit and was involved in cam trials along with the boffins from Farnborough.

Also in Aeroplane is a Defiant in Daylight cam with 2 sqn undertaking trials at Old Sarum. In the background is an ambulance (Albion) it too is camouflage. the tones are very very similar to the Bedford we are discussing. RAF in white is still clear on the door. against the Defiant the Bedford's dark tone looks very similar the lighter tone is very light ;; This is a unit where I believe cam colours would have been more obtainable due to the nature of the Station's duties so---My guess is the vehicle has been given a quick dust over with aircraft colours Dk Green and wait for it Light Earth ! Thoughts gents please

Finally the 2 types of film for black & white print use were ORTHOCHROMATIC & PANCHROMATIC the resulting tones were totally different. With one red comes out nearly white !!

TED

ps I cannot find a date for the 2sqn trials but its no later than mid 42 as AC command wound up.

Mike, between june & sept 1939 as that was the only production period for the MSC, as THE MS & ML were then put on hold until after hostilities, Vauxhall delivered them as a chassis cab to Spurlings . As the vehicle is deviod number plates I would suggest a pre delivery photo either by Vauxhall or Spurling or one taken by the RAF prior to registration for the records. And it would have been RAF Blue /Grey. The photo appears in several books the reproduction in Bart's Kalidoscope is by far the best. Unfortunately none give a credit for the source of the photo.

TED