Wantet Markings and Color of a British DUKW

DCLI

presumably you have seen:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=892

Those books I referred to make no reference to DUKWs as I believe the books of 1939 & 1941 predate the vehicle!

I don't have much on wartime vehicles. I have a Fighting Vehicle Design Department spec of 1948 which is meant to cover Army, Navy, RAF & RM vehicles. The Army & RM vehicles AFV or MT should be finished in high gloss Deep Bronze Green BSC 224.

The only refrence I can find to painting amphibians specifically is some 1959 Regulations. Whether these regulations could well apply to earlier vehicles, I don't know.

Primer - red oxide

Undercoat - Light Admiraly Grey

Finishing coat - Light Grey

The undercoat as quoted is of Admiralty origin & was used for painting vessels interior & exterior above & below the water line. Light Admiralty Grey is BSC 697 & was added to BSC in 1949.

It is different from Light Grey BSC 631 which was introduced in 1948 but was only the new name for Light Battleship Grey from the 1931 edition of BSC.

Wheeled Ambhibians were required to be marked "ARMY" in 10-inch black lettering on both sides of the exterior of the hull.

The bilge areas were to be painted with two coats of Paint, Bitumous, Black, Brushing.

Thats all I've got I'm afraid

Hi Marco

The grey colour Clive mentions was used post war, for your period it was

olive drab but I don't knoew the exact shade.

Try contacting Rex Ward (web site http://www.dukwparts.com) his e-mail address and phone no are listed there also parts lists. Rex has restored

many DUKW's and I am sure you will find him very helpful.

Cheers

Degsy

Thanks for trying to help Clive, as I run US vehicles my knowledge of British colours and markings is very sketchy. I brought Marco onto here from Bill's GMC CCKW site hoping you or somebody else on here could help him.

Cheers

Degsy

Hello Boys I came first in the MLU begun then into Bill's CCKW forum and by Degsy I landed here.

With us in Germany one finds no as much over the British military therefore is Im glad to be here.

You are very Helpful

Hi Marco.

In WW2 the British dukws were in American colours as shipped form the US.

The British painted a large B on each side then a troop number.

Post war the dukws were painted in gloss green up to 1958.

From 1958 till they finished in army service 1974 the dukws were painted Cargo Grey with black markings.

Hope that helps.

Rex

Hi Marco.

Have only just picked up on this question;

I'll ask my dad, he was involved in the instructing driving/maintainence of DUKW's when RASC during the war.

I'll get back when I've got something;

Till then,

Andy

Prima Great :wink:

Haven't seen the B with number on the side on a British DUKW before, and have seen restored examples in museums and on the show circuit, also seen a British DUKW at a museum at Falaise. The markings i've seen on British DUKW's is the same as on the Italeri 1/72 model markings for a British DUKW, the top one in this picture of the back of the box of the model

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/vehicles/michaelsdukwb.jpg