Stoneleigh Show August (Coventry)

Anybody going to the show at the Town and Country Festival at Stoneleigh in August

Bank holiday weekend the Military Vehicle section is back on again this used to be a cracking show with loads to do for the kids and partners the last few years some other

organisers took over and messed it up big style but apparently the old team are back

with a vengance the North Staffs MVT are going with 20 plus vehicles as of yet booked

Commander

Shame they have only recently announced this as its only 2 miles from me & I'm already committed to the Chill Out weekend at Bob James's near Evesham. Hardly any advertising for the festival locally so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Perhaps someone could post some pics after the event.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
already committed to the Chill Out weekend

See you there with a bit of luck,only its north of Watford Gap,bandit country for us.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.stoneleighfestival.co.uk/index.html

No mention of MVs, so maybe they are not expecting many? Who do we contact? I remember the new company that took over running the show wanted to introduce "a total shopping experience" & MVs & mil traders were eased out. But the new company were not so clever & I'm told ceased trading.

The problem is I cannot remember where I read or heard this. There is nothing on Milweb or EMLRA/MVT sites or publications. So is it on properly for MVs? Who out of our lot is going? It's 124 miles for me & is as far north as I go for shows. If a number of us are going, then I'll go but don't want to go up there if the mil section is a minimal gathering?

So anyone interested or got more details?

Hi Clive

I get the impression that its all a bit last minute, but as I understand it there is a new organising company who are more involved with vehicle shows and the MV display is back in the hands of Peter Slater as it was for many years prior. I'm going. if only because the familly enjoy the weekend so much regardless of the number of MVs!!! So i can sort you a tea if needed,

do you still have that mobile shed :-)?

kind regards

nick

Yes Stoneliegh is on and is being organised by Peter Slater. I have asked him to let folks know possibly through Milweb Events. He will no doubt be at the next meeting of the Birmingham West Midlands Area MVT on the first Tuesday in August. I tried several times to find out if Stoneliegh was on and was promised a call back. What a good job I didn't hold my breath waiting!! In 2005 I had a telephone conversation with a Helen Arnold who was the original shows assasin when she tried to rearrange everything. In the 'conversation' she described the MVT as "...very childish and small minded..... and a bunch of 'happy campers' who had no interest in the public!" After this tirade and constantly shouting me down she finished with, "This conversation is going nowhere." and put the phone down! I only wish I knew where this 'Gob on a stick' was now so that I could kick her future prospects into touch. BIG time. Traders will probably already have found somewhere else to go that doesn't charge the prices that the old Stoneliegh show did. When Roy Elvis organised the military section over 700 'Greens' were there. 2005 it was 62 vehicles. I don't know if anybody from the B.W.M.A MVT are going as we don't know officially it's on. Bob James's event is on at Badsey the same weekend and a nice relaxed do. I can't can't go to either as my wife is in hospital. Do I have a bitter taste over past events at Stoneliegh? Hmmm..does it show?

Phil P.

Hello Nick, I wasn't sure which Nick you were then saw CMP so I know who I'm speaking to now! In fact I think the last time we spoke it was at Stoneleigh several years ago.

I think it was at Beltring that a trader was telling me the show was on again. He had previously been driven out by the requirement for his team to wear corporate uniform, everything to be labelled in display boxes & a fee of something like £5,000 for a stall.

I thought Peter Slater did a very good job for little thanks, glad he has been asked to pull it together. Trouble is the lack of publicity, I would have thought it was easy enough to get it on some websites & spread the word.

If there were going to be more than say 75 MVs & some mil traders I would go. But without that reassurance I would leave it until next year for the momentum to build up again.

Yes the shed (1-Ton, 2- Wheeled) is still around. But I was thinking of taking the Wolf & using the 2-man arctic tent for economy reasons. I think it was 4 years ago when I last went because I took the Wolf & a judge queried why I had marked my entry "not to be judged". He asked if I wanted to change my mind as there was a prize available, I think he was surprised as I declined. But I didn't restore it so what was the point in me having a prize for something I didn't restore? (This is controversial but I think prizes should only go to owners who have done a significant part of the restoration themselves!)

Anyway I'm undecided, but if it gets more publicity & lots of interesting people say they will go, then I'll go along as well.

This is posted in reply to the discussions regarding Stoneleigh 2008, as we know it. (Officially known as The Country Fair 2008)

Fortunately with the passing of Haymarket, and, apparently, everyone associated with it, I can confirm that this Event is back on, for Military Vehicles, Stalls and Historic Commercials. Ths intention of the Organisers is to restore the Show to its original Country content, and make it a Family Event, rather than the Sunday Market which it had become.

The problem is that this is all at short notice.

I considered that it is better to do as much as is possible this year, as a preparation for next year and the future, rather than not trying.

Entries are coming in daily, and we should have a good Display.

We are situated on Blocks 29, 35, and others nearby, around Entrance 2.

Most of the contacting has been done by email, and this has been copied and resent around the Country.

If anyone would like an Entry form, then please email me and I will send you a copy of the original email and Form.

This is the first time I have used this Forum, and I understand that you will be able to email me if you are registered, so I will resist adding my email address at this point

Peter Slater

• 2 weeks later...

Peter I sent a pm asking for an entry form. But not received anything yet.

So who is going & what are expected MV numbers? I'm not so keen on the shopping experience I just want to spend a weekend with fellow MV people with vehicles of any era before the show season just slips away. I have to say the Evesham event is looking more attractive as well as it being only 3/4 distance.

Edited by fv1620

Phil. Thank you for the offer. I had no reply from Peter Slater, but someone from another forum sent one. But the closing date was today, so missed it. But I would have to be convinced there were than a handful of MVs going to do the 125 miles given the cost of fuel. Maybe next year if there's a bit more publicity?

Hi Clive. Just spoken to Peter Slater. (1-00pm 14-8-08) He said don't worry about the date send the form in anyway. So far over fifty vehicles entered from soft skins to tracked armour and 4 stalls. He expects to be approaching 70 vehicles by the show date. Sadly I can't go as 'er in doors is having a hip replacement on the 21st August and even I'm not that brave!

Next year it should be back to the old formula but without the clowns from Haymarket running it.

Yes fuel costs are horrendous. I did a quick calculation to see how much the Hippo had cost me over 25 years. That included insurance, fuel, oil etc and storage plus tyres and general parts maintenance. I wish I hadn't. £41,800-00!!!!! In 2005 I won the Wilkinson sword. It would have been cheaper to buy several. The cheapest part was buying the Hippo itself for £200-00 as scrap in 1983. I do average 2300 miles a year with it.

Phil P.

In 2005 I won the Wilkinson sword. It would have been cheaper to buy several.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well in view of the stated last entry date, I have now committed myself to Evesham. So will be there this time, looks as if it could be interesting. Thanks anyway.