Edwardian Weekend, Crich Tramway Museum

Mostly Edwardian period street scenes here, hope you enjoy them

a.jpg

a1-1.jpg

Leyland Charabanc, one of eight Leyland's (mostly pre-WW1) driving up and down. Charabanc's such as this one were used for troop transport in the war

a2-1.jpg

Sums up most of the weekend - raining, taking cover in the bandstand, and no public!

a3-1.jpg

'Join T'Army' with the Leeds Pals tram - I particularly like the iron cross on the front and 'Berlin' on the destination blind

a4-1.jpg

Oldest motor bus in the UK, 1908 Leyland X2

a5-1.jpg

a6-1.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

a9.jpg

Some great photos there of what is one of the worlds best collections of early buses, if not the best - all restored by one dedicated man and his team. Ignoring the countless hours of work, the remains of over 50 vehicles were collected to gather enough parts to bring these vehicles back to life!

Running through them:

LN7270 - London Central, Leyland X2, of 1908 (the one with the yellow chassis, not as captioned above)

HE12 - Barnsley & District 'Combination Car' of 1913

LF9967 - Wellingborough, Leyland S3.30.T, of 1913

CC1087 - L&NWR, Leyland S4.36.T3, 'Torpedo' char-a-bancs, of 1914

C2367 - Todmorden No.14, Leyland G, of 1921

BD209 - "Charabus", Leyland G7, of 1921 (not pictured)

DM2583 - White Rose, Leyland SG7, of 1923

XU7498 - Choclate Express, Leyland LB5, of 1924

Thanks - I thought it was weird as i've seen photos of WW1 Leyland X2's with the deep radiator, yet the sign saying it was a Leyland X2 was on the one i've captioned. I'll upload a photo of the charabus too later

I'm going to Crich on Saturday 9th August. I've never been before. Can anyone give me any tips on the site and how best to enjoy the time? What's the food like, and what bus/tram rides are there?

Many thanks.

Food is alright, fairly decently priced actually for a museum, considering most places grab you by the wallet and squeeze (*cough* Imperial War Museum *cough*). There's the Cliffe Inn about 200/300 metres downhill from the museum which has a decent selection of cheap yet basic (just how I like it!) food. There's also a pub on site which serves alcohol and possibly food but not sure. The site starts with the town area, consisiting of an exhibition hall, sweet shop, ice cream booth, souvenir shop, tea rooms, pub, workshop, tram sheds and a tram museum. Must be at least fifty trams on site of different eras etc. As to how best to enjoy it, well, it's easily all done in a couple of hours including a tram ride.

The busses are only there for last weekend and the coming weekend, and even then they weren't for the public to ride. There's usually about four trams in service I think, although no doubt more can be put on depending on how many public there are. From the town, the tram heads out into the countryside, with stops by the car park/entrance and an area with mining equipment and a couple of small shops. It then heads about a mile into the countryside with spectacular views, then comes to a terminus where you can't get off due to unchartered mine shafts, the tram electric pole is turned around you head back into town