Jack writing for Classic Military Vehicle Magazine..

Jack

Morning all.

Not sure if everyone is out of bed yet :shock:

Just wanted you all to know that as of next month I will be writing for Classic Military Vehicle every month with a two page spread..........yeah I know that I know bugger all about MV's but that is why I will be writing for them.

I will be writing about the restoration of my GMC from a 'newbie' point of view - from someone who knows nothing about MV's, the suppliers and the tools that are needed. As an 'outsider' I could see that there are entry vehicles into the MV world, but no entry knowledge.

Like most industries/movements most people are expected to know the basics but if no one has taken the time to point them out then you aren't going to know...... and then you get to the stage where you are to embarrassed to ask, to me this is all about getting as many people interested in the movement and 'keeping them rolling' this will only happen if you can make it as easy as possible for people to join the movement and not to feel intimidated!

I am more than happy to put my head on the chopping block and ask the 'basic' questions and make the 'basic' mistakes :oops: without fear of people laughing at me :twisted: :shock: as t needs to be done and if it help other 'newbies' lke myself enter the movement then that can only be a good thing.

As you guys know, I have no tools or equipment to speak of and again it is something that I am learning as I go along 8) and will be sharing all of this with everyone, the tools I have had to buy, the dealers/traders that I have bought from and the friends that have helped me along the way 8) 8)

The first article will be in the March issue of CMV which comes out in Feb 8)

See you there!

Cheers

Jack.

Just wanted you all to know that as of next month I will be writing for Classic Military Vehicle every month with a two page spread..........yeah I know that I know bugger all about MV's but that is why I will be writing for them.

I will be writing about the restoration of my GMC from a 'newbie' point of view - from someone who knows nothing about MV's, the suppliers and the tools that are needed. As an 'outsider' I could see that there are entry vehicles into the MV world, but no entry knowledge.

Jack,

This is something that the mv magazines are lacking, in comparison to other fields, (ie tractor, car, motorcycle mags), practical restoration articles.

Best of luck and well done for putting yourself forward on this. If you need any advice from someone in the restoration business, please PM me.

Richard

Jack

Well done, at least you have a sounding board here amongst your friends. I think those mags are good to draw people into the hobby. What I found difficult in the early days was seeing MVs on display & not knowing how to get involved. The people displaying all seemed to be wrapped up in themselves & there was no bridge from novice to seasoned expert.

Even the first show I ever took with my Land Rover ambulance to, no other exhibitors would speak to me, they were all in huddles wrapped up in themselves. I felt so out of it that my first Southsea show I parked my Lightweight Land Rover in the public carpark given the earlier apathy/hostility. I was mighty relieved as amongst the hundreds of vehicles there was only ONE Land Rover on display!

So anything that breaks down barriers like these mags is a good idea. Then later people can join clubs if they feel the hobby is for them. But it is a big step to join a club & pay £20-£25 for something that may not turn out to be a hobby of interest. But these mags can be bought on a one off basis & hopefully kindle an interest particularly if there is a helping hand from someone with a blossoming enthusiasm. As it often seems to the public that everyone showing a vehicle has been doing it for years & very intimidating feeling your way into the hobby.

Best of luck

Good luck, Jack.

As a subscriber, I'll look forward to reading it/them.

As has already been said, the 'nuts and bolts', -non cheque book restorations, are, to the majority of people, I guess, all the more interesting, because, its being done, the way, again, I guess, most vehicle owners, have done/are doing, it.

Mind you, It could just be that I don't have mega-bucks.............. :lol:

Andy

well done Jack

As you have probably gathered I am one of those groping about in the dark and have to say that this forum has been a great help for information and the feeling that your not on your own. there are people in the same position and even better those that have been there and done it

and can and will help you out.

regards

Centurion

Hi Jack

Good luck with your new career :!: Always remember everybody had to start somewhere and however expert a person may be nobody knows

everything although there is always some ---- around who thinks he does.

Regards

Degsy

Thanks for the support and kind words everyone, very much appreciated and lets hope we can make a bit of difference as you guys are all part of that as it is from you that I have learnt what I have :shock: ...........oh well that is that screwed then! :wink:

Well done Jack does this mean free subscriptions to us at hmvf? :D

:twisted: :twisted:

But funny enough, I was thinking of giving away subscriptions as the monthly HMVF prize 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy of CMV todaycomplete with first article, two pages professing total ignorance and innocence. Very crafty,no doubt will now

have loads of people contacting him offering help so he can sit in the armchair drinking tea and eating Berni's biscuits :!: :roll: :lol:

Now,now, Degsy........................ :lol:

Like you, my copy dropped through the door,..although, I've only just had time to flick through it,

I did make a point to read your article, though Jack.

Nice One,................To my mind, you got it right, will look forward to seeing the continuing saga,.unfolding.

All the best.

Andy

Received my copy of CMV todaycomplete with first article, two pages professing total ignorance and innocence. Very crafty,no doubt will now

have loads of people contacting him offering help so he can sit in the armchair drinking tea and eating Berni's biscuits :!: :roll: :lol:

:twisted: ............you have got my address, haven't you Degsy!