Stalwart Coil

Mark

ANYONE HELP PLEASE

Just loading the stolly up on the lowloader and the coil has gone "kaput", so has anyone got a 24v coil they do not want, laying about, unused that they might like to get rid off, trying to get one from the normal places will take a long time, so I am asking the great forum if they can help a fellow out, PLEASE

Mark that ebay one would certainly do, it equates to No.1 Mk 3. (I think it is wrongly described as a Scorpion coil which should be the No.6 Mk 1. But often people think something is more impressive if they say it is for a 'tank'.)

But remember it is not a 24v coil it is only a 12v coil supplied by a couple of ballast resistors in the junction box that drop it down to 12v. Once you take the fancy bit off the end it seems to be able to accomodate a standard sized coil. So I would go to a motor factors & buy something off the shelf. Trouble is in this world of technology & nitwits, the person at the counter will ask you what car is it for! Many places can't help as "the computer" only works off the make & model. But I would have thought pretty much anything that is 12v would get you out of trouble.

Can you test the coils the same way as the condenser that Clive showed us ???

No, but the primary should have a resistance of about 3 or 4 ohms. But take care because of the inductance it is possible to get a shock when doing it.

I don't know precisely must the secondary is going to be a few hundred ohms. But there are other issues like shorted turns & leakage.

What makes you think it has failed?