Land rover MOT success.

Davie

Hi folks, I haven't posted on here for a while, so thought I'd let you know whats been happening. Today I took my 11A land rover for it's MOT and passed first time! Over the last couple of months I have spent many hours in my shed beavering away making it a happy landy again. The rattly old petrol engine was removed and a lovely 200tdi from a discovery now nestles under the bonnet. The brakes have been fixed and a servo installed, a wee bit of welding to the chassis, and have had a roll bar bent up by the local blacksmith. This is similar to the military bar fitted to 90's and 110's with seat belt mountings attatched. It's never had belts before so was worried about the kids not being tied down. Anyway, now it's roadworthy again I can concentrate on getting ready for war and peace. My 109 and two mates 101's are convoying down a week on Monday, it's only 450 miles. we'll be camping in the quiet field, so be sure to pop round and drink some beer with us. Cheers for now, Davie Reid.

Hi Jack, The basic engine lump bolts straight on to the 11a gearbox after removing two locating dowels and one stud. Remove the disco engine mounts and fit the mounts from the petrol engine. It then sits directly on to the chassis mounting points. thats the easy bit, then you have to plumb in the intercooler / turbo, radiator and sort out the wiring, throttle etc. I've put one in a 110 before and it's pretty similar, so had a good idea of what to do. The wiring was a bit tricky as it's a 24 volt land rover and a 12 volt engine. Luckily I'm a sparky so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Davie.

Hi Jack, The basic engine lump bolts straight on to the 11a gearbox after removing two locating dowels and one stud. Remove the disco engine mounts and fit the mounts from the petrol engine. It then sits directly on to the chassis mounting points. thats the easy bit, then you have to plumb in the intercooler / turbo, radiator and sort out the wiring, throttle etc. I've put one in a 110 before and it's pretty similar, so had a good idea of what to do. The wiring was a bit tricky as it's a 24 volt land rover and a 12 volt engine. Luckily I'm a sparky so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Davie.

OHHHH dear, should you have admitted yor trade to Jack at this time? :n00b:

Be interested in futher details have lots of TDI engines knocking about at the moment. I've got the non turbo and a 90 box in my LWB Safari. Have you changed Difs as well?

Whilst it is comparatively simple to fit any of the Land Rover family of engines up to the 300TDI the huge increase in power and torque is liable to result in catastrophic failure of the transmission.The power output of the later engines is too much for the selectable 2/4 wheel drive system and fitting the later permanent 4 wheel drive gearbox and transfer box does not solve the problem as the series front axle 'tracta' joints are not suitable which is why the later vehicles used cv joints.

Whilst it is comparatively simple to fit any of the Land Rover family of engines up to the 300TDI the huge increase in power and torque is liable to result in catastrophic failure of the transmission.The power output of the later engines is too much for the selectable 2/4 wheel drive system and fitting the later permanent 4 wheel drive gearbox and transfer box does not solve the problem as the series front axle 'tracta' joints are not suitable which is why the later vehicles used cv joints.

Very true! the original Land Rover series diffs will handle the engine and box, BUT, top speed is about 50 mph, and it throws the speedo out, the turning orbit goes out beyond the solar sytem and needs a winch to turn the wheel. However the plus side is hitch to the wall of a house, and the house will come with you. Range rover Diffs can befitted, but as I use mine for towing and It is now really a spare I've not bothered. Mine has the non turbo 2.5 disiel. Still for sale!

Aye, I'm aware of the excess power implications, however, I have another 11A with a V8 fitted running through the standard transmission. It's been over three years now,I thought the box would have exploded a long time ago, but it's still ok. I recon as my box is in good condition, and driven sensibly it should be ok. Only time will tell though.

I'm picking up a pair of stage 1 v8 axles on Saturday to raise the gearing and provide upgraded brakes. These will also cive me cv joints in the front axle, which means if the 11A box explodes I can fit an LT77 box.

Tony there is a good article on this conversion, click the link below.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/200tdiconversion.htm

Ta for that! Your right though the main enemy is heavy right foot. I know one ******ER who keeps buying Landy's then bringing them back complaing about leacks and gear box not selecting, but try convincing it not to try wheel spinning away from lights or doing 50 mph in first gear, some people should have been strangled at birth. :argh:

I think you are very wise to fit stage one axles but although the 2A box can usually handle the extra power for a reasonable period if driven carefully the problem is that all the power is being transmitted through one axle which was why the Range Rover and Stage 1 V8 were permanent 4wd.The fitting of an LT77 box and LT230 T/box would obviously be the way to go to overcome this problem but too many alterations to the vehicle and you end up with a Q plate if the points score falls below the threshold needed to keep the original plate.

I think you are very wise to fit stage one axles but although the 2A box can usually handle the extra power for a reasonable period if driven carefully the problem is that all the power is being transmitted through one axle which was why the Range Rover and Stage 1 V8 were permanent 4wd.The fitting of an LT77 box and LT230 T/box would obviously be the way to go to overcome this problem but too many alterations to the vehicle and you end up with a Q plate if the points score falls below the threshold needed to keep the original plate.

Thing is you are using Land Rover parts, and they are replacing parts no longer available. I should think most old Landy's now are far from original, they never die, just go on donating to others. There was a craze a few years ago for sticking V8's in series ones. Fortunatley seems to have stopped now.