Land Rover 2.25l carb query.

TooTallMike

We observed an interesting phenomenon on MarkHeliops' Land Rover 2.25l carb today. There is a strong smell of petrol around the vehicle, it runs fine, drives fine, but starts like a dog if it's sat for any time at all. He drove 25 miles today and when we stopped we had a look under the bonnet to see if there was anything leaking. There was nothing there at first so we'd just begun to eat our sarnies when we heard bubbling and observed a pulsating flow of petrol coming from the small hole indicated by my trusty number 2 digit in the photo. The petrol was pouring out and onto the manifold below where it happily evaporated in a hiss.

We feel there is a potential safety issue here so... should there be a plug in this hole, or what???

225carbhole.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Apparently there should be a plug in there but mastic will do at a pinch! Does anyone know what this hole leads to?

There should be a brass blank plug in the hole,It leads to a very small hole in the venturi.Block it off,take off the air cleaner elbow so you can see down the carb,run the test again,see if it floods.I suspect you may have float level to high,or needle valve not shutting totaly off.:n00b:

There should be a brass blank plug in the hole,It leads to a very small hole in the venturi.Block it off,take off the air cleaner elbow so you can see down the carb,run the test again,see if it floods.I suspect you may have float level to high,or needle valve not shutting totaly off.:n00b:

Thank you very much sir :tup::.

it's over to you Mark!