The tractor that saved Britain

Rlangham

b64bf1.jpg

The Fordson model F tractor plays a very important part in British history. In 1917, due to the German U boat blockade of the country, Britain's food reserves were down to only two weeks remaining. Production of food had to be sped up, and fast. However, there were tremendous difficulties in this - many horses had been requisitioned by the Army, and of course there was a shortage of manpower too. Mechanisation of farming was the only way to ensure there was enough food supplies to stop the nation from starving.

b6mw4.jpg

Lord Northcliffe inspecting the Fordson model F tractor with Henry Ford

In the USA, Henry Ford, who had already gave the world wheels with the Ford model T, was setting up a factory for the sole purpose of producing tractors, the Fordson model F. Prime Minister of Britain Lloyd George sent his representative, Lord Northcliffe, to the USA to try and persuade Henry Ford to start manufacturing large amounts of the Fordson model F for export. On 8th October 1917, the first one rolled off the production line, becoming the worlds first mass produced tractor. Within six months, the entire order of 7,000 tractors had been delivered to Britain, and the country saved.

b65kw1.jpg

b63sj4.jpg

b66hx5.jpg

b62is9.jpg

Model of a Women's Land Army member driving a Fordson

b61nd4.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Great stuff how about adding all the other tractor related stuff,there must be a lot out there.

The world record speed for a tractor is 67.77 miles an hour set by an air tyred Ford Model U. The Fordson model F used a streesed cast iron frame, this contained all the moving parts in sealead enviroment eliminating wear from contamination. The aim was to produce the machine for $200 . It entered production in 1917 . Engine was an in line 4 cylinder petrol 20hp @ 1000 rpm. 3 speed transmission with multiplate oil bath clutch and final worm drive. Price was $750. The tractor was originaly to have been built in Britian but raids by Gotha bombers made the goverment decide to turn all production to aircraft, Henry Ford therfore started to produce in the USA. in order to preempt a rival set up a company in Minninappolis called 'The Ford Tractor Company'. this stopped ford using his own name so the company beccame Henry Ford & Son = Fordson. In 1919 the tractors were manufactured in cork ireland moving to Dagenham in 1933, In 1928 all production ended in the US due to Intrernationl Harvester cornering the market in 1929 all production went to cork, and then Dagenham. In 1938 Harry Ferguson demonstrated his 3 point link system to Ford, on a handshake the 2 made a deal and in 1939 the Ford 9N tractor went on sale with a 3 point link. During WW2 ford produced around 140,000 model 9N tractors.

A chap I know well was running a breakers yard when farmers were buying the then 'new' E27N, and a lot of quite servicable Standard Fordsons were going for scrap.

Whenever one came in with some fuel in, he would disconnect the governor and make sure engine oil was at correct level. The tractor was then started and allowed to run.

As the engine warmed up and increased in speed, first all the water shot out of the radiator, then the fan blades would fly off, eventually (unless it ran out of fuel) amongst the shrill whine and smoke (at several thousand rpm he reckoned) the glass fuel bowl would shatter and calm descended once more.

When he came to break the engine, he would carefully inspect the internals. He never found a failed (run) white metal crank bearing, which says something for the design :cool2:

My old fitter worked on a farm where the ploughing tractor was a very old Standard with rear exhaust under the axle. In winter the driver would wear an old WW1 trench coat and run a bit of rubber pipe from the exhaust up the back of his coat. His neck was just a tad sooty at the end of the day, but he was never cold :-D

That speed record has been past. JCB took a tractor to Bonneville Salt Flats as a pusher for the land speed attempt using the tractor to push start the record breaking diesel car. That car was powered by two engines originally designed for a JCB tractor. The pusher tractor I understand also set a record!

Will check out the speed involved and report back.

Doug:coffee:

• 2 months later...

Found it :sweat:only taken me three months but searching for something else this morning I came across this pic of my 42 Fordson standard N . It doesn't have any paperwork or history but when I stripped it the con rods had a 1942 date stamped on them . Need to make up a couple of top brackets so I can fix the wings on .

'42 Fordson N.jpg